Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Green or Grey Cabinet.  (Read 8932 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
BT Green or Grey Cabinet.
« on: April 06, 2010, 11:50:23 AM »

Were the green cabinets changed at some point for grey ones? The reason I ask is that I can't locate my local cabinet. The last time I had an OR engineer visit he mentioned about the local cabinet had been marked for replacement as water had ingressed and corroded quite a few joints. I just wanted to have a look at the state of the cabinet and it's site so that just maybe I could get BT to put a small amount of urgency to the problem. I know hell might freeze over first, but there's no harm in trying. Any comments please?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Green or Grey Cabinet.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:55:51 PM »

I don't know the answer, but there's a collection of pictures here.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07:00 PM »

Thank you for the link. I don't seem to have one like any of the shown. I'll have to take some pics of the cabs in my locality and see if they are recognized. The nearest picture is the cable one which is a possibility as the area was set up for cable, the whole causeway down the main road was dug up for this. Unfortunately where I live was not included in the cable route. I think the cable company went bust before the project was finished, so no-one benefited from the months of upheaval and muck. About right for the UK wouldn't you say.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:10:44 PM »

Hi Silversurfer,

It's interesting to note that all the BT PCPs are in various shades of green.
I can't recall seeing any other colour, but I believe that, after the Muswell Hill FTTC cabinet planning fiasco, BT did agree to paint the larger cabinets black.

Also note that there are far fewer BT PCPs than Virgin Media cabinets due to their different architectures.
In Eric's link you'll see the Cable Company broadband co-ax in one picture and the twisted pairs with their termination blocks in the other.

Here's a link showing the inside of a PCP I happened to be passing when open, for comparison. How about Superband from one of these?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/29498497

Kind regards,
Walter

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:12:29 AM »

There's room for a few more connections in there.  :'(
Talk about spaghetti.

I have found my nearest cabinet, a large green cable one. It was hidden from view by a caravan which has now been removed. I cannot remember when it was changed but all around the base it is well rusted. I think it has been situated in the path of overflow from some elevated gardens runs. Nice surveying wouldn't you say.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »

Some cabinets can become very-very hidden over time. One Took me ages to find, could see it on the map. later transpired the owner of the nearest house had sneekly moved his garden fences so fencing in a fair chunk of common land. And had camoflaged the cabinet as it was now in the middle of "His" back garden.

Another I can think of as a low garden fence build all around it by the housing developers which we have to climb over.

Some get covered or surrounded by vegitation over time. One i can think of is in the middle of a large blackberry bush behind a very large tree. a wobbly bit of scaffold board is set into the ground so you can cross a dyke then shuffle along a narrow ledge to get to. No way can you spot that one from the road.

thats assuming your cabinet is not a "piller" type, some of which look like a concrete bollard. And many of these will be a lightning protection unit rather than a cabinet.

Oh and rust at the bottom, that would be due to dog wee. When the sun is out and it's a hot day the fragrance is quite ?????? gagging
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 06:56:53 PM by Ezzer »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »

Sounds like you have real fun Ezzer. I can understand what you say about the rusty bottom, the cabinet that is  :) But this one stands right in the marks of running water that come out of an elevated garden. There is a permanent damp mark which runs down hill and eventually into the gutter. At least it should wash away some of the smell.