Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Netgear DGN3500 first impressions  (Read 17792 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Netgear DGN3500 first impressions
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »

The DGN3500 is one of Netgear's new range of wireless-N capable ADSL routers which are replacing the DGxxxx range. This model supports wireless speeds up to 300 Mbps and has gigabit ethernet ports. It also has a USB port for connecting USB storage devices, but not printers or other types of USB device.

(Note) Anyone thinking of buying this router should be aware that the cheapest suppliers at the present time are offering model DGN3500-100PES, which is not the UK model. It comes with some weird filters which are no use in the UK, and a 2-pin power plug, but is otherwise identical to the UK model DGN3500-100UKS. I bought mine for £79 from Pixmania and made my own arrangements for the power supply and ADSL filtering.

Physically this router has the same style as earlier Netgear routers, but is coloured black and is substantially bigger than the DGxxxx range - see picture below, beside a DG834GT. A notable feature is a big button in the middle of the top face, which automates the setting up of secured wireless connections with compatible devices. I haven't tested this feature. There is no external wireless aerial, but it has three internal aerials. I mounted the router vertically, using the supplied clip-on feet, and in this position there is only the barest feeling of warmth anywhere on its surface.

Setting up the router is much the same as with earlier models. You have the choice of running a wizard from the included CD (Windows only), or configuring it from its web interface (any OS). The web interface offers the choice of a wizard or a purely manual setup. Whichever method you choose, you'll probably only have to enter your ISP username and password, with everything else automatically detected. This takes very little time, and I was soon up and running.

This router has an Infineon chipset (that's the company which took over TI's ADSL business a couple of years ago and fixed a problem with their AR7 chipset firmware). The AR7 was renowned for its ability to hold onto a connection down to very low noise margins, and I was interested to see if this new chipset has the same capability. This is very much work-in-progress, but first impressions are good. It connected during daylight at a higher speed than I've been getting with the DG834GT, and didn't drop the connection when the noise margin fell low at night. I'll be keeping an eye on this to see how it progresses over time.

Wireless performance is good, but I have no real means of testing its limits. A laptop taken to the end of my garden (~25 metres) continued to download data at good speed.

The gigabit LAN seems to perform as expected, with data transfers being noticeably faster than with the earlier 100 Mbit components. I'll be taking some measurements later to try to quantify this.

Conclusions

First impressions are very favourable. A lot more time and testing is needed before I can reach firm conclusions, but it seems to be a well designed and constructed product which is unlikely to disappoint.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:11:42 AM by roseway »
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Netgear DGN3500 first impressions
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »

What an excellent and interesting review.

Thank you vm for that eric.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 01:02:09 AM »

@ Eric,

1.  Can you tell us please whether the PSU has a flying tail lead and universal voltages so only needs a UK plug, or whether a replacement 13A 3 pin unit is required?

2.  Also does the wireless function conform to UK regulations?

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 07:25:41 AM »

@Walter:

1. The PSU is the normal type built into the plug, and it's rated for 220-240V mains. The output is 12V dc, 1.5 amps. The 2-pin plug that comes with the -100PES version fits a normal shaver adaptor, so that's all you need to use it in the UK.

2. Yes, as far as I can tell. The instructions make specific reference to selecting the correct location when setting up the wireless, in order to meet local requirements. The available options are exactly the same as with other Netgear routers. The manual says this:

Regulatory Compliance
Meets requirements of: FCC Part 15 Class B; VCCI Class B; EN 55 022 (CISPR 22),
Class B
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:55:35 AM by roseway »
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »

A point of caution for anyone considering buying this router: there appears to be an issue with periodic loss of the PPP connection which doesn't reconnect automatically. Netgear are aware of the problem and are understood to be preparing a firmware upgrade to deal with it.
  Eric

jstallan

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »

so how is the router performing ???

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 06:49:47 PM »

For me it's performing faultlessly, but there are various complaints on the Netgear forum about connection drops. Netgear have released new firmware which is supposed to fix the reported problems, but at the moment only the North American version is available; a European version is expected shortly. The NA version probably works fine in the UK, but very probably isn't legal, because of wireless channels and powers.
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 07:10:05 PM »

Just to update this, I was a bit premature to say that it was performing faultlessly, because since saying that I've had a number PPP disconnections which could only be fixed by rebooting the router.

However, Netgear have now released new firmware for the non North American models, which beta testers in the UK say fixes the known problems. (The North American firmware couldn't be used, as the upgrade utility rejected it.) I've upgraded to the new firmware, and I'll give it some time before saying any more. :)
  Eric

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 09:15:08 AM »

Are you on a 21CN enabled exchange? or better question are you using 2+?
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:28:20 AM »

Unfortunately not. I'm rather out in the sticks on the Sellindge exchange (NDSEL).
  Eric

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 01:21:39 PM »

I'm disappointed to report that my early enthusiasm for this router has been dashed. The new firmware didn't fix the PPP disconnection problem for me. In fact that is getting worse, which may indicate a hardware problem. I certainly can't recommend the DGN3500. :(
  Eric

majnu

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 11:34:54 AM »

Hello I believe that there is now a new firmware release for this modem. Have you updated to it Roseway?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

Yes, I tried out the new .25 version of the firmware. It did make a difference, in that the PPP connection re-established itself automatically after dropping (but very slowly), but the PPP drops still occurred, and did so frequently enough to be a nuisance. So the DGN3500 has gone back in the cupboard, and I'm not sure I'll ever bother with it again.
  Eric

gannite6364

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 06:10:57 AM »

In your review you mentioned clip on feet. i have a DGN2000 supplied by TalkTalk but no feet,do you know where i can get some?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 07:07:12 AM »

As far as I know, the same feet are supplied with all Netgear routers, but I don't know if they are available as spares.
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything