Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Issues with friends Virgin Connection - Upload Low  (Read 17238 times)

funkyfin2000

Re: Issues with friends Virgin Connection - Upload Low
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 09:50:13 PM »

Thanks Gary.

Tis very interesting, my friend is so frustrated with Virgin, the engineers today just wouldn't take a look at it. Just saying they could do 3 BT Tests (whatever they were) I believe Test 1 is what we did through the bt.speedchecker.com site but I don't know about the other 2.

I think we shall see if the BRAS profile fixes over night, then check tomorrow with a corded phone as just speaking to him there the line was buzzy as hell (on a DECT Phone) and then ask him to get on to Virgin and ask to speak to a manager probably will be the best way forward.

Has anyone got any links in at Virgin? Got a good engineers email or name at all??? :(

Thanks all, will keep you ALL updated as we go along.

Rich

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 09:59:57 PM »

Kitz might beable to tell you if he has an ISP members on the forum that work for virgin. 3 speed tests on that site is the first speed test you do that gives you the results the second one is where you log into the test account and run another speed test, this only happens if the first one fails, and then if that fails it tells you to contact your SP to carry out the 3rd test which is done by BTW diagnostics team who run extended ping tests to your router while its firewall is down and while your still logged into the test account 8).  I tell you exactly what to say if you have to contact virgin. "Right i am connected to the test socket, you have not told me there is any exchange issues, i have changed a filter, tested with a corded phone to eliminate noise on the cordless, tried a spare router and i am still getting a very pathetic and low upstream speed so i suggest you do your little line tests and then pass this over to BTW for further diagnostics". If that doesn't work ask for a manager.

Regards
Gary

P.S I know you haven't tried a spare router but they don't know that :P

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »

Kitz might beable to tell you if he has an ISP members on the forum that work for virgin.

We don't have any members who have declared themselves as Virgin ISP reps. There may be some members who work for Virgin, but they're keeping quiet about it. :)
  Eric

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 10:48:13 PM »

Well if you had of been with BT i could of perhaps tried to help out. I suppose i could test your BT line for you but i ain't a registered rep on this so i think i would get shouted at lol

Regards
Gary

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 11:26:21 PM »

I think it is well known that some ISPs take fault investigation far more seriously than others.

One approach is to think as if you're part of the faults team and provide actual evidence. On one faulty line we eventually discovered using the 17070 ring-back test that the modem lost sync every time that an incoming call was answered, but not whilst it was ringing. I have had routerstats running for about 6 weeks via logmein on my laptop on a line that has been problematical for months. After every "no fault found" visit I only have to monitor the modem whilst ringing the number with  an answerphone to demonstrate the fault was still there. It has taken BT many elapsed weeks to cure the fault with a "Lift & Shift" today. Another very useful tool (I've used on another poor line) is to monitor the diagnostics page on a 2Wire HGV2700 modem which provides many useful measurements. In this case I take screen pictures in my house of the data which I can then e-mail to the ISP for further assistance.

As I am involved in multiple problems I have eventually been noticed by the local BT O staff as someone who can actually help them. Their tasks in this very poor performance area are not to be envied !

However it is perhaps unsurprising, particularly on difficult and intermittent faults, that BT O's systems are designed to restrict involvement with the end users, unless and until you can demonstrate that you understand the problem details and that often requires solid evidence.

Kind regards,
Walter

funkyfin2000

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 08:05:39 AM »

Thanks again to Gary and others for your help.

Gary - I have PM'ed you to see if you would do a BT line test for me.

I will be logging in this morning to see if we have any different stats over night if the BRAS profile has changed. I will also see If I can post you some links to his speedtests.net. His ping results are atrocious on them!!!! He was getting something like 705ms! or 600ms!!!!!!!

I suggested to my friend (who is not the most technical so is a little worried about tackling virgin) that he show them this forum and the infomation on it so they can see that there is definetly an obvious problem!

I will report back this morning any how, first off new BT Speed test and results posted back and ADSL router stats again.
Then we will do a call via the telephone on a corded line to see how that is.

Then I think we will get him to tackle Virgin on the phone again and not take NO for answer or he will go to a manager.

Thanks for the sentance Gary to say to Virgin that's very useful.

Could anyone else explain what the problem with the stats are? directly?

Rich

funkyfin2000

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »

And this is the test from this morning....even worse:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 987 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :7232 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 64 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps

What on earth!!!!!

Here is the speedtest.net result:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/766820928.png

Time to plug the corded phone in to the bt test port and try a test phone call next see if its still buzzy.....then on to virgin again!!!!

funkyfin2000

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 09:21:56 AM »

And finally once again the stats from the router this morning:

DSL Status :   Up     
      DSL Modulation Mode :   GDMT     
      DSL Path Mode :   INTERLEAVED     
      Downstream Rate :   7232 Kbps     
      Upstream Rate :   64 Kbps     
      Downstream Margin :   5 db     
      Upstream Margin :   6 db     
      Downstream Line Attenuation :   12     
      Upstream Line Attenuation :   6     
      Downstream Transmit Power :   0     
      Upstream Transmit Power :   0

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 09:48:38 AM »

Could anyone else explain what the problem with the stats are? directly?

I thought I'd answered that, but it looks as though I forgot to press the Post button... :)

The point is that, with such low values of attenuation, he should be getting connection speeds of 8128 kbps down, 448 kbps up (the maximum possible with ADSL Max). These speeds should be achieved with much higher noise margins. The fact that both upstream and downstream are not achieving what they should (particularly the upstream of course), even when connected to the test socket, indicates that there is almost certainly a line fault of some kind, and the only way he can get this fixed is via his ISP.
  Eric

funkyfin2000

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 09:58:29 AM »

OK chatting this morning...results of the phone test:

so......connecting a telephone to the test point, there no hum at all on the line, it is deadly silent and fine.

connecting the corded phone through the "speed touch - 4 yrs old adsl filter" we get bad hum back on the line!

So then, we have decided before tackling Virgin again for the moment that we will make sure everything in the house is fully up to speed and new.

His router is an old linksys wag54g so we are going to get a new netgear N router.

We have also decided it's wise to get an ADSL faceplate fitted which I have a spare of that I can fit next week for him.

I also got him to check his wiring coming out of the main BT point.

He has the following:

Blue with White dashes
white with blue dashes
white with orange dashes
orange with white dashes

From my knowledge I know I can remove both orange flecked wires and just leave the two blue and white wires which will also help.

I suppose my point at the moment is that the filters could be at fault as well and causing issues and I want to completly eliminate those as well before contacting Virgin again.

What do you think?

Rich

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 10:02:30 AM »

I was going to suggest trying a different router/filter.

Also looking at the downsteam attenuation of 12db,he must live very close to the exchange?

Have you put his details in here just to actually check how far away he is.?

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php

funkyfin2000

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »

Certainly have and I think I posted it but could be wrong. He is 1.6km away!!!!! :)

New Router DGND3300 - Looks like I will get the following as he has quite a large house and the router is now going to move to the bedroom as thats where the main BT point is (whereas previously his router was next to his computer on the phone extension)

http://www.netgear.co.uk/dgnd3300.php

funkyfin2000

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »

We have confirmation that the line checks out fine for voice.

Must be either his side still in the house (filter related) or problem at the exchange.

Lets get the house side fully sorted (next Wednesday i will be in there putting new router in and taking out all orange/white wires and new adsl faceplace) and see where it gets us!

Rich

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »

Yes, I think that's a good approach. If his own setup is whiter than white, it will be easier to persuade the ISP that the problem is external.
  Eric

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 10:45:36 PM »

Thats what it is all about elimination but sometimes it can cost to eliminate.

Good luck
Gary
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6