Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Accuracy of 21CN WBC dates.  (Read 10024 times)

paulk101

• Just arrived
Accuracy of 21CN WBC dates.
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:40:48 PM »

Hi all

Im on the Hindhead exchange (BT Code: THHH)
On Kitz.co.uk the its down as "RFS date 30.03.10" so i was obviously looking forward to that.

But Samknows has no information on the go live date.

How accurate are the dates on the site and where is the data taken from....?

Currently trying to leave TalkTalk after Tiscaly was swallowed up by them, and im moving to fast.co.uk.
My download speeds have dropped from about 3 Mb to 1.2 Mb its just not on....(Bring on my MAC)

I may only get 4Mb on DSL max but for support in the uk and a compleate lack of trafick shaping and throttoling make it worth it..! (is there a BT mole out there perhaps..?)

If someone can help id be very happy as i was really looking forward to getting my 8 Mb downstream...!!   

Cheers all.

p

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
Re: Accuracy of 21CN WBC dates.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 12:21:04 AM »

Hey paul and welcome to the site. I know where the details are taken from when it comes to samknows. The data is taken from a system called "tags on the line". This is a BT system which the public do not have access to. So basically samknows gets its details from BT systems who own the exchanges so that information is fairly accurate. In regards to your slow speed could you post your router stats so we can have a look at them. Also i want you to make sure your setup is correct. Make sure you have a filter on every socket you are using at your property. Make sure your connected to your master socket for best performance. Make sure your not using an telephone extension cables as this can deteriate speed performance on your ADSL broadband over a period of time.

Good luck
Gary

paulk101

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 02:18:06 AM »

Hi all

Will post stats tommorow im pretty sure most of it is TalkTalk ******* about. (hence why im moving) The exchange is only a little way away perhaps i should just go round and wait for a friendly looking Engineer....lol

Digital Britain my **** by the time this project is complete and 3/4 of the country can get 8-9 Mb broadband with a lucky few knocking on 20-22 Mb The rest of the world will be running at 100Mb to the door..!
Its simple not enough exchanges **** cabaling and an under invested monopoly for too long.

Looks like ADSL2 for me is still just a pipedream then.
Still least ive given TT the flick...!

Cheers for your help guys
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:08:45 AM by tuftedduck »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 06:11:03 AM »

Good morning, paulk101, and welcome to the forum.  :)

I have adjusted some of the language in your post as I thought same was inappropriate for this family friendly forum.
I am sure you will understand and that such expressions will not be repeated.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 08:45:44 AM »

I have gone off trust in Samknows data.

But I suspect it was nothing he could control and that BT are at fault, I had 21CN status as last quarter 2009 for 3 or more years on Sams site, now nothing at all shows.

But having said that I don't think we are missing out on anything and could be better off as we are.

I think BT have put a hold on upgrades and waiting for us the tax payer to pay the costs using the new landline tax.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 08:47:45 AM by BritBrat »

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »

Yeah problem with samknows is that if BT  put a delay on any upgrades samknows won't tell you it will leave the wee orange clock there on the site. Sometimes it will be taken of the site completely. You can however get in touch with samknows and ask them to check that there records are up to date on your exchange as perhaps sometimes they miss updates from BT's records and don't put them on there site. I can remember they made a spelling mistake on newtownabbey on there site and my mate sent them an e-mail and told them. Next day the  mistake was corrected lol. I await your stats paul and as TD states please watch your language we don't want all the lovely members becoming offended  :P

Regards
Gary

paulk101

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 04:14:02 PM »

Hi guys

Sorry for my "intermediatly" poor litterary expressions, whilst not what many would consider offensive I do fully accept the modifications on the basis given.
(Like many im sure im just very grumpy about continued bad ISP service and BT being unable to provide a decent connection speed)

Anyway here are my Stats ive also attached a download test.

Up Stream 832 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 4256 (Kbps.)

Operation Data  Upstream  Downstream
Noise Margin 12 dB 5 dB
Attenuation 46 dB 37 dB

Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 5372 73070
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 56 621
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 1496 0

Make sense to anyone..?

TIA
Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 04:27:31 PM »

Your connection speed isn't as high as it might be. With everything in your favour you could possibly get a downstream connection speed of ~ 5700 kbps. You might like to read the Improve Your Line page for some suggestions for improvement.

But your actual download speed is much less than it should be for your connection speed, so that's the biggest problem. It's probably congestion either in the exchange or in your ISP's network, but just to make sure you could try the BT speed tester and see what it says your IP profile (or 'configured speed') is set at.
  Eric

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 04:34:18 PM »

I would agree with roseway however as i mentioned on my earlier post trying the test socket and making sure your setup is correct is important also as this can effect your speeds and also SNR's. If you have your setup correct and your in your master socket using no extensions with every phone socket filtered then go into your test socket and then post your stats again to see if there is a difference. SNR for upstream is rather low which could indicate an internal interference from somewhere.

Link below shows you the test socket method. When you remove the faceplate connect to the socket to the right with a filter.

http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/other/UKphonecatwiring_files/image012.jpg

Try leaving your connection 24 hours before posting your stats.

Also on your speedtest result that is pretty low and a need to raise for concern. If you are to contact your SP they are going to ask you to do all the above before any fault is reported to BTW in regards to your connection speed. You must understand OR only test as far as the test socket and anything after that is YOUR responsibility to maintain so you could incur a charge if your SP decides to direct the charge to you and that can be £175 and a further £90 an hour after that. If the issue remains the same at the test point and you have changed filters and possibly tried another router then is the time to report to your SP with all the information then that will clearly state to them there is a BTW network fault causing your issues. Always have ALL the info at hand before contacting your SP this is all a heads up as to the sort of stuff they are going to want you to do before they report the fault.

Regards
Gary

P.S SP for broadband don't usually charge for SFI visits but they must still advise of charges. The £175 is a call out fee before the engineer has even parked outside your door.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:37:19 PM by coolsnakeman »

paulk101

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »

Hi all

I dont have a socket like that.

Just a Junction Box affair where the external cable meets the internal Phone wire.

Before i mess about with cables and the like I will get my ISP changed over to rule that out.

Paul

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »

Hi
Your increased noise margin (12db) could be  costing you  up to 2400Kbps synch rate depending on BIT loading . It seems that your target SNR margin has been raised  through some instability on your line  . This may slowly recover to the default 6db . But you will have to be patient . It could take weeks or months to do that depending on how the DLM sees your line .
SNR explanation  will help to understand SNR,Target SNR and SNR margin.

Regards Jeff
zen user

paulk101

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 07:45:05 PM »

Hi all

Does this look any better,

When i checked my master socket (Even though its not at all like the one in the pictures) , ALL the cables had been punched in. And the upstairs extension had been punched in first !!  :o

Anyway I pulled them all and chroned the Blue\White in to port 2 and the White\Blue back in to port 5.
Ive left the upstairs extension out for the moment and here are my results with some good improvements I think.   
But Id really welcome some imput from you guys out there who obviously know what you are talking about..!

Status
  Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path

Data Rate
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Up Stream 832 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 5856 (Kbps.)

Operation Data
Operation Data  Upstream  Downstream
Noise Margin      10 dB         2 dB
Attenuation        44 dB         37 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name  Near End Indicator  Far End Indicator
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 204 18602
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error 5 82
Loss of Signal Defect 0 ---
Fast Path HEC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error 0 0

Download speeds are still rubbish but i dont really expect that to improve yet...

Paul

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »

Think you have made it worse lol. SNR for downstream has now dropped to 2db which can make this line fairly unstable. If you don't have an NTE5 then i would suggest you do the usual like change filter and try another router if you have one. If not get onto your SP to have an SFI engineer arranged to your property off course a frames engineer will be tasked to the exchange first but keep on at your SP to get an SFI pushed to come and attained your property and he will change your socket to an NTE5 or even an SSFP (more than likely SSFP) which will improve your connection.  You won't be charged for the engineer visit as your socket should have really been upgraded. Is there a logo on your main socket if it is what i think it is you should have a "T" logo on the faceplate or possibly a "BT" logo on the faceplate depending on how old the main socket is. Bottom line is you are entitled to have your socket upgraded free of charge so take advantage of that.

Regards
Gary

paulk101

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »

So if these are my current figures (I thought a lowwer noise margin upstream would indicate a better signal)

Operation Data  Upstream  Downstream
Noise Margin      10 dB         2 dB

What would be a better result or should they look like..?
I so dont want to deal with BT..

Paul
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:36:55 PM by paulk101 »

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:52 PM »

Having a low SNR as low as 2db is certainly not recommended usually anything below 6db can start to cause unstability in your connection. It also depends on your router aswell as some routers are very tempermental with SNR and its usually the router that is dropping the connection due to low SNR.  Well you say you don't want to contact BT or deal with them but they are the only ones that can run line tests and investigate a fault for you. You will for one get a free engineer and also a free upgraded socket which means you won't need to use the microfilters that are supplied to you. If you call your SP with an SNR as low as that they will certainly look at your case and if it was me i would be logging that to BTW ONLY if everything has been covered in your own domain and we know for sure it isn't your own equipment at fault. A few ppl would say low SNR is good but i would disagree and say SNR between 7-10db is stable and alot less risky.

Regards
Gary
Pages: [1] 2