Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Win XP MS update help  (Read 4827 times)

nomeames

Win XP MS update help
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:52:47 PM »

I have recently formatted my computer. I am running XP SP2. I have set Windows automatic updates to "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them". Normally the yellow shield icon appears in the sys tray asking you to install update. You can then choose custom install and select which update to install BUT the problem in my case is that there is no icon in sys tray and every time I shut down the computer I am presented with the option to install updates but there is no way of knowing what updates I am installing.

Is there any way of knowing what updates windows has already downloaded and trying to install? Any default windows folder where I can look to find out whats downloaded?

I select "Turn off without installing updates" but there must be a way of knowing whats going to be installed.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Win XP MS update help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:59:24 PM »

Just go to windows update web page.
update.microsoft.com

Or try typeing this in the run box:
wupdmgr.exe

To view installed updates go to add remove programs and tick the show updates option.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 12:04:43 AM by BritBrat »

nomeames

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 12:27:39 AM »

I have not installed any updates yet. Actually I restored my computer back to factory setting and was wishing to update windows. After I installed everything, the yellow shield flashed couple of times in the system tray and then disappeared. Going through web update I don't think I can do a custom install (or do I?), I mean choosing only the updates I want to install.

Tried web update and it gives me the SP3 update which I don't want. How can I hide SP3 and get other SP2 updates? Any idea?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:29:28 AM »

it gives me the SP3 update which I don't want
Why, do you actually WANT to run an insecure system?  :o

nomeames

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 12:55:39 AM »

my C drive is 18.6GB and installing SP3 takes up most of the space. I am left with only 1-2 GB. Thats what happened when I installed SP3 last time and the reason why I reformatted. Besides, SP3 made my computer run lot slower.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 02:35:30 AM »

How can I hide SP3 and get other SP2 updates?
Go to the update screen and chose "Custom Install"

After the scan has finished, beneath the SP3 option is the option to chose other updates (or words to that effect)
You can then chose which updates to except, or chose the option to "Don't show me this update in the future"

After choosing the "Custom Install"
I found the last time "fairly recently" it has changed slightly and I had to chose something first before the actual list was accessible, but it was pretty straightforward  and hopefully you should understand it.

edit
Just a thought.
SP3 should only increase your HDD by about 1GB and not as much as you have said.
Although I do usually run the disc clean-up utility soon afterwards.
But I always have a backup, just in case.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:38:07 AM by oldfogy »

nomeames

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »

Thanks Oldfogy. I understand what you are saying and I have done this in the past but now the problem is I cannot get the custom install window at all because the windows update icon (Yellow shield) has disappeared altogether from system tray.  :'(

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 02:32:43 PM »

With re-reading your first post, it looks like the problem is that the updates have already been downloaded to your PC and are now waiting to be installed, which is probably why when going to the MS update site nothing is happening.

The yellow shield has disappeared because the updates have finished downloading to your PC and are waiting to be installed, as requested at shut-down.

The only options I can think of because of the above is:

1. Try System Restore back as early as you can.
2. Find the download location and delete them (and hope that works)
3. Allow the updates to install, the go to "Add or Remove Programs" and select the option to un-install SP3.

4. Re-format and install windows again.
Only this time, do not accept the option at first startup to allow automatic updates, or at least the first thing to do is to disable the update option.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:36:43 PM by oldfogy »

nomeames

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »

Thanks Oldfogy. Option-4 worked. All hunky dory now. Cheers !

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »

Did you try option 3 first?

If I am ever in the situation of having to revert back to drastic measures such as re-installing, I tend to think that I may as well try anything first, as at least if it does not work I will be re-installing anyway so nothing to lose, so use it as a practise/leaning period.

But if it did work, you know better next time.