Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: So you changed to Firefox to avoid IE security problems...  (Read 2926 times)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
So you changed to Firefox to avoid IE security problems...
« on: March 22, 2010, 05:56:51 PM »

Germany warns against use of Firefox browser
according to the Beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8580716.stm

Cheers,
Peter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: So you changed to Firefox to avoid IE security problems...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 06:37:04 PM »

Switching to a different browser may not be a good solution either, said Graham Cluley, senior technologist at security firm Sophos.

"Switching your web browser willy-nilly as each new unpatched security hole is revealed could cause more problems than it's worth," he said.

"What are you going to do when your replacement browser itself turns out to contain a vulnerability?

"My advice is to only switch from Firefox if you really know what you are doing with the browser you're swapping to. If you stick with Firefox, apply the security update as soon as it's available."

Good advice, in my opinion.
  Eric

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:40:34 PM »

Of course, using Linux is even better advice...
Cheers,
Peter

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 06:50:49 PM »

I couldn't disagree with that :)
  Eric

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »

While on Firefox this morning I clicked on "Check for Updates" and was offered the update to 3.6.2 and have downloaded it - so they managed to come in long before the 30 March deadline they first announced.  All computer use offers some potential threat (witness the DSLZone disaster this week) - but so does life in general.  You just have to behave as sensibly as you can and use the security aids that are available to you, often at no cost.  :)

Quasimoto

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:58:14 AM »

While on Firefox this morning I clicked on "Check for Updates" and was offered the update to 3.6.2 and have downloaded it - so they managed to come in long before the 30 March deadline they first announced.  All computer use offers some potential threat (witness the DSLZone disaster this week) - but so does life in general.  You just have to behave as sensibly as you can and use the security aids that are available to you, often at no cost.  :)

Soon as a humans interacts it's got problems. Virus creation or infection.
CappySpectrum

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 08:31:13 AM »

Germany warns against use of Firefox browser
according to the Beeb: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8580716.stm
I'm a Firefox user and one thing I've noticed is that Mozilla releases security patches quickly once security problems have been discovered.

The only thing I don't like about Firefox is that at times it stops responding and I have to close it down and start it up again.

I'm not sure if Firefox is at fault though as I'm using Vista at the minute and it does tend to freeze at times  ???

I don't think I could go back to Internet Explorer personally and would probably try out another browser like Opera rather than stay with Firefox if security issues get worse as popularity grows and it becomes more of a target for malware attacks.

Mike

anything