Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help with XP reading Linux partitions  (Read 6606 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Help with XP reading Linux partitions
« on: March 22, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »

Do any of the Linux gurus/users here know of anything which will allows XP to read Linux EXT3 partitions? I dual boot now between XP and Linux and it would be good to be able to read data on an EXT3 partition. I do have one shareable partition but its only any good if I remember to copy over stuff to it   ::)
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: Help with XP reading Linux partitions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »

explore2fs tries but it's not always successful on my system but I have four drives and multiple partitions. I think it gets confused!
Tony

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 02:15:10 PM »

I don't know of Windows reading Linux, but Linux sure can read & write Windows NTFS partitions. If that's any good to you.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 02:41:46 PM »

The usual advice which seems to be offered is to use a separate partition which both Windows and Linux can read and write. Until fairly recently it was recommended to make this a FAT32 partition, but NTFS is OK with newer Linux systems.
  Eric

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 06:38:19 PM »

DiskInternals Linux Reader should help you out: http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 08:43:43 AM »

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have tried all of these and none work reliably or at all in many cases. Except that is using a shared partition which is FAT32 or NTFS which does indeed work - the problem with this is that I have to remember to copy files over to that partition that I need in XP  :'( :no: I usually have a 'senior moment' and have to boot back to Linux and copy the file(s) over  ::)

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 11:55:12 AM »

I know this thread is a little old but if anyone is still interested I have a suggestion.

Basically, it depends on what documents you are wanting to share.  While Linux generally does not like having its files on FAT or NTFS partitions, you can get away with it if you choose the right folders.  For example as I use KDE as my desktop there are folders like Documents, Pictures, etc in my home directory similar to how XP has My Documents, My Photos, etc.  It would be trivial to point those folders to your NTFS partition so that it ALWAYS saves them there, rather than having to remember to copy them over.

Likewise in Windows there are ways to point My Documents to a different place (TweakUI as I recall) than default.  That way your Documents folder on Linux can point to the same place as your My Documents folder on Windows.  It also has the bonus that if you point it to a second partition your files will not get lost if you have to format your C: drive at some point  in the future, although I will have to remember to change where My Documents, etc, is pointing if you reinstall.

Of course this still requires a little discipline on your part to remember to save your files into directories not just on your desktop or in your home directory, but its not rocket science.
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »

Yes I know you can use Windows NTFS disks on Linux and I do. The problem is that on the (now rare) occasions I boot XP and have forgotten something which is stored on a Unix EXT3 partition. Much less of an issue now as most of the time I use XP under Virtualbox for the very few apps I use which dont have a Linux flavour.

I am pleased to say that more Linux apps are available now to do most things I need, and many of them are superior to the Windows stuff I used. One or two even have Windows versions  ::) ;)

Stuart