Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Routers and cordless phone  (Read 3824 times)

anon_private

Routers and cordless phone
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:40:30 AM »

Hi,

The householder is setting up a cordless phone system. Phone with extensions.

Is this system likely to interfere with the router?

Thanks

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Routers and cordless phone
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »

Hi,

I myself have a cordless dect phone with an additional handset in another room.My main hand set is 2 feet from my router and doesn't cause any problems. :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »

Hi Unc,

It might be more prudent to say it doesn't cause any observable problems.

I suggest it would be a good idea to place any DECT unit as far away as possible from the broadband modem and its RJ11 connecting cable. Note that the output power of a DECT phone is higher than WiFi systems.

It would also be wise to ensure that all ring wires are disconnected from their sockets.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Kind regards,
Walter

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:57:57 PM »

I have had a couple of dect phone systems over a number of years and I can honestly say I have no observable problems. I have used wifi whilst speaking on the phone. Watched routerstats very closely and have not seen any detrimental  recordings. The base unit for the phone system is about 18 inches from the modem. The socket is about 15 meters away connected by shielded twisted pair cable and no ring wires attached. So far no problem that I know of.
I am not making a scientific statement or anything just relaying my experiences. I would suggest if there is interference then there may be a fault within the connection set-up.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:14:10 AM »

I have three DECT phones in my household. One is connected to my main BT landline and the other two are connected to two PAP2T ATAs for use over the internet.

The two PAP2Ts are inches from my waps and router (two DECT phones are about 18 inches from the waps). I have never noticed any corrolated interference.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:12:43 AM »

I find it hard to believe that a DECT phone transmitting at GHz frequencies will interfere with ADSL at up to 2 MHz. But it may have a power supply which can cause interference, so as others have said, it's sensible practice to keep it well away from the router, and to pay attention to telephone wiring for minimum interference pickup.

The other definite possibility is that the DECT phone may interfere with WiFi (or vice versa) but this should be manageable by careful choice of wireless channels.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:18:08 AM »

Most of the power supplies are the built into the plug on the domestic systems so shouldn't be a problem.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 07:32:33 AM »

Power supplies built into the plug can potentially cause interference with ADSL. A poorly designed or poorly built switch-mode PSU can spew out a lot of interference. I'm not up to date with what's actually used these days, but I think it likely that many of them do use switch-mode PSUs.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 07:43:00 AM »

I agree but that is true of many appliances that are electrically powered including the modem. What a scenario.  ???

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 07:46:55 AM »

You're right there, SS44. :)
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »

My own house has four DECTs.  They've all been bought at different times, so each one sits on an active base station, even though it's only purpose is to charge the handset, so there are 8 sources of DECT yet, hard as I try, I've never identified any degradation to ADSL caused by these phones.

However, playing Devil's advocate to my own observation, DECT uses GHz frequencies, but it is pulsed at (I think) 100Hz.  When I hold a handset close to an AM radio, I do hear interference, so I'm open minded to the possibility that it may in some circumstances, if placed close to the router, have an effect on ADSL too.

To put it in context though, GSM mobile handsets are similar - GHz frequencies, pulsed, but with a much stronger radiated power than DECT.  It could be argued that any attempts to avoid DECT completely are relatively pointless, unless you also ban GSM mobiles from your home, and from the homes of any nearby neighbours, passing cars etc...

anything