Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Why does the error rate explode at peak times?  (Read 3904 times)

hake

• Reg Member
  • Owzat! On ya way, back to the pavilion!
Why does the error rate explode at peak times?
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:13:56 AM »

During late afternoon and early/mid evening, the error rate increases enormously.  Why is this?  Is extra noise generated when broadband traffic is heavy or when routers are synching and connecting?

I attach a DMT screenshot.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

For five weeks after going ADSL2+, I did not experience a single disconnect or performance problem.  Downstream bitrate was 9500kbps with downstream SNRM typically 3dB.  Curiously, the upstream bitrate at 440kbps has not quite attained PlusNet's norm of 448kbps, upstream SNRM being typically 21dB.  The MT882 router is stated by Huawei to be fully ITU G.992.5 compliant.

This gilded age of ADSL2+ ended abruptly with a rash of disconnects, coincident with plunging speed and fluctuating SNRMs.

Could this be collateral damage inflicted by BT techies at the exchange?  There is no rhyme or reason to it.

Quite frankly, 3000kbps is enough for my needs.  What I really appreciate is stability and reliability but these precious characteristics seem to be ephemeral.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:28:07 AM by hake »
Windows XP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Why does the error rate explode at peak times?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:18:39 AM »

It's people coming home, turning on electrical equipment, street lights etc..

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »

There is that what HP states also the fact that ADSL2+ adds extra load so it is expected to see more errors generating than ADSL. Why don't you plug into your test port in behind the NTE5 faceplate and check to see if the error build up is still the same that way you will be eliminating any possible internal wiring. I noticed you mentioned about collateral damage well that is something that can not be ruled out but going into the test port will prove that the issue is beyond your premises so you know you can then contact your SP for further investigation.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:49:06 PM »

Hi
your stats show the SNR margin at 14db this suggests you are now on a 15db target  that is where the the lost synch rate has gone.

quote with plunging speed and fluctuating SNRMs.

not sure what you mean . Is it that the synch speed varies and the snr margin is fluctuating during a session? or that thesynch speed has now settled at ~ 3000Kbps with a high SNR margin.

I am not very familiar with DMT (routerstats is my preferred monitor ) your ES appear to peak at 320  with scaling factor what does that mean and over what time period .

With very high CRC you will also lose throughput as each erroneous bit of  data will have to be be resent .

From what you say this problem seems to have happened suddenly . So it is unlikely to be caused by other users joining logging in ,as they were doing that during your good period .
The test socket should be able to confirm if the problem is your internal wiring or external to the exchange .
Regards Jeff
zen user

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 05:43:07 PM »

For five weeks after going ADSL2+, I did not experience a single disconnect or performance problem.  Downstream bitrate was 9500kbps with downstream SNRM typically 3dB.  Curiously, the upstream bitrate at 440kbps has not quite attained PlusNet's norm of 448kbps, upstream SNRM being typically 21dB.

I don't know too much about Plusnet's ADSL2+ product but surely you should see more than 448kbps upstream ?

I'm on O2 with a 37.5dB downstream attenuation and upstream sync at around 1250 - 1300kbps

Those are massive Error Seconds figures :

Previous Day = 2576

Current Day = 758

Current 15 minutes = 2

As Jeff said....I think it's test socket time to prove it's an external problem.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:32:17 PM »

The following was produced by the below link.

http://community.plus.net/plusnet-adsl2-faq/

"7. What’s the upload speed?

The maximum upload speed on ADSL2+ is 1Mbps.  However, this maximum upload speed can create an increased possibility of broadband faults for some customers.  To ensure that the majority of our ADSL2+ customers do not experience avoidable problems we provide a standard upstream connection of 448kbps to our ADSL2+ customers.  This will not affect your download speeds.  Where upload speeds are important to you we can increase this to 1Mbps for you."

Ok looks like 448Kbps is the norm for plusnet however you can request it to be increased to 1Mb. This however can cause some issues with your BB.  My stats are below as you can see my upstream is 1Mb and it doesn't appear to be causing any issues.

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state   Connected
Connection time   8 days, 17:11:13
Downstream   8,107 Kbps
Upstream   1,005 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI   0/38
Type   PPPoA
Modulation   ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type   Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)   4.6 dB / 6.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)   46.0 dB / 26.4 dB
Output power (Down/Up)   0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)   0
Loss of Signal (Local)   0
Loss of Power (Local)   0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)   14934259 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up)   4882 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)   nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)   3833

Please ignore the errors its this home hub series A that records them but they are all incorrect. My last hub was a series B and that decided to stop working one day. There isn't an awful loss in your upstream speed but to be frank with you there shouldn't be any loss at all. I could usually tell by the upstream if there was something not right with a customers connection. There is something else you can do before going into the test socket may not be relevant since this has just all of a sudden started happening but for record reasons you could try a different router at the master point and monitor the errors for 24 hours (results more likely will be the same). After that then go into the test point and monitor for another 24 hours. I am confident to believe that this may require a transmissions engineer to fix but that type of engineer won't be dispatched until an SFI has confirmed it is needed.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:31:51 AM »

The maximum upload speed on ADSL2+ is 1Mbps. 
Incorrect.  :no:

It's 1.3mbps (which I currently enjoy - 1395kbps to be more precise) or with Annex M invoked it's around 2.5mbps.  8)

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »

:O 2.5Mb on annex M i can only get half a meg of that on upload lol.  Well i never really agreed with plusnets FAQ's cause i have seen upload speed go alot higher than 1Mb but i guess 1Mb is the highest plusnet are willing to put it up to which is why they have that on there.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 10:48:32 PM »

wow DMT looks much more advanced since the old days.

anything