Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A frustrating experience with Tiscali-talktalk  (Read 7370 times)

Cmcm

A frustrating experience with Tiscali-talktalk
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:15:44 PM »

Hi all

Apologies in advance for the rambling post, but I can't seem to get anywhere with Tiscali support so was hoping you guys might be able to offer some advice.

We moved into our current house in November, there was no current line active but the speed checks estimated ca 3Mbps. We signed up with Tiscali with line rental through BT. Initially things were going very well and we could watch programs on i-player etc so I thought we were probably getting around 2 to 3 Mbps.

Then there was a fault on the line. Both Tiscali and BT seemed to get involved and the outcome was a new noise on the line and performance dropped to 500kbps. This coincided with the beginning of the christmas holidays so naively we put it down to the increased usage. After christmas when the slow speed continued we assumed it was related to the noise on the line so we waited for BT to figure it out. It took three engineer visits to get the noise clear, the latest visit being last week.

I have called Tiscali several times over the last month and the outcome is generally frustrating, asking me to delete history in IE etc and promised call backs that never happened. Now that we have finally got a quiet line I was hoping for an improved broadband service,but today since the last engineers visit the speed has dropped further to 50-100kbps.

Whenever I call tiscali they tell me that the current speed is due to a national problem that will be resolved in a few days but max speed is 500k and that I won't get any better, I can't help but feel that if I was getting 2+Mbps originally then there must be a fault on the line that is causing it and it should be possible to get it fixed.

I am about 2.5 km from the exchange, have a downstream attenuation of 57 dB, and at least one BT engineer told me I should be able to get up to 3.9 Mbps.

Could you help me get together the info I could use to finally convince Tiscali that there is a problem that should be addressed? Or, alternatively, help me understand if this is a lost cause.

Cheers

C
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 10:27:19 PM by Cmcm »

GunJack

• Reg Member
Re: A frustrating experience with Tiscali-talktalk
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:39:57 PM »

might be worth getting on the tiscali (TT) help forum...they are often better than phone support for such issues :)
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 10:47:50 PM »

Tiscali MAY have improved since I left them with similar frustrations, hopefully TalkTalk are better (they couldn't be worse).
Some stats from your router would help to decide if it's a local (to you) or wider problem.

(57 dB attenuation may give >3mbps but only if your own wiring is good and there's no external interference)

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:23:40 PM »

Hi
quote : Could you help me get together the info I could use to finally convince Tiscali that there is a problem that should be addressed?

As far as first line help there is NO chance they do not understand stats etc.

I know as I had similar problems with them . The only way is to get all your information together as Hpsauce says full  stats would be useful  to try to locate the cause of your problem. Then try and get past the script readers.
Regards Jeff
zen user

Cmcm

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:50:20 PM »

here are some stats from the router. Is this the right information?

DSL Type:   G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 576

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]:   0.00 / 15.34

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 14.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   31.5 / 57.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   14.0 / 15.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / P

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   11 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   1 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   1 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   31 / 894

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   31 / 35

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   29 / 19

Cmcm

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 07:23:03 PM »

The following is from the BT speedtest....although the current ridiculous low speed is apparently a network problem at their end .....the configured and max speeds seem way off the 2 or 3 Mbps we used to get

Download speedachieved during the test was - 19 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :576 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:27:26 PM »

the current ridiculous low speed is apparently a network problem at their end
Based on what evidence?  :police:

What you've posted above points fair and square at a likely problem with your own wiring.
All other things being equal a speed nearer 3mbps would indeed be normal.

Post the stats from your BT Test socket please.

PS Describe ALL your phone wiring, connectors/adapters and equipment starting from how the line enters your property.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:30:13 PM by HPsauce »

Cmcm

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:02:05 PM »

When I called about the low speeds (the 500 kbps) they said they were having problems on their network over the last couple of days and that my speed should return to 500kbps

Sorry, I think this is going to be a stupid question, but I'm guessing you mean to post the router stats when connected to the BT test Socket directly

generally my set up is router connected to the BT master socket. There are extensions running from there, but I have disconnected all of that and still get the same results. The router is connected to the socket via the microfilter provided by the ISP.

I have connected the filter directly to the test socket, removed the phone that was also connected and restarted the box. The new stats are below (speed test now says 388kbps).

Thanks for all you help with this, its much appreciated

Uptime:   0 days, 0:00:12

DSL Type:   G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 2,112

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 17.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   31.5 / 56.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   15.0 / 15.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / P

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 08:04:45 PM »

OK, so there's the proof, connection speed now over 2mbps. Nowt to do with Tiscali at all.  :P
Now, exactly WHAT did you change between the 2 tests?
Work it out and fix it.  ;)

Cmcm

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »

???

Three things changed I removed the faceplate and connected to the test socket, I removed the phone connection and I switched from wireless to wired, so I'll start reintroducing the three things until the problem comes back.

It may be that the noise on the line was previously causing a problem...but its looking increasingly likely that I am a numpty.

I owe you a beer :drink:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 08:24:35 PM »

There has definitely been noise, it shows in the elevated Noise margin (which also reduces your speed).
Chances are it's your own "stuff" that created the noise.
Once you've fixed the problem the connection speed will slowly (over weeks!) rise as the target noise margin is reduced by the exchange equipment as it learns to "trust" your line.
The IP Profile (as noted on the BT speed test) should rise more quickly, within a few days, so monitor that too.

PS Don't forget that the removeable faceplate could also be faulty; if that appears to be the case buy yourself a filtered one, such as the ADSLnation XTE-2005.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »

Another satisfied customer eh HP lol.  "There are extensions running from there" Do you mean extension sockets or an extension cable? If you have been connecting via an extension cable then this could possible be the more likely cause in your drop of speeds. If you mean extension socket then screw the faceplate back onto your master socket and connect only a filter and the router. Bring up your router stats and check your downstream speed (make a note of the speed before you make the changes). Compare the 2 results (both should match). If they do not match well i am sure you are smart enough to work out its your internal wiring (wiring for the extension sockets or faceplate of NTE5). If they do match then plug in the next bit of equipment into the filter then reboot your router and check your stats again. If it turns out its your internal wiring i would suggest you get yourself what is called an SSFP (Service Specific Face Plate) which has a built in filter but make sure you get the wiring changed aswell between your master socket and your extensions as that wiring could be causing the issues.

Good luck
Gary

Cmcm

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »

So the culprit is dodgy home wiring. The house has phone wiring throughout fitted by the builder. With the faceplate connected to the internal wiring the speed is 500k, with the ring wire removed it goes up to 1.8 Mbps, after removing all the wires it goes up to 2.2Mbps.

If I understand things correctly I should be able to get a NTE5 face plate and re attach the wires and I should be able to maintain the 2.2Mbps with the extensions active.

I assuming over the next couple of weeks it should go back up to 2+Mbps as the noise and IP profile recover, if Tiscali ever do call me back I can ask them to reset things on their end if possible.

I can't thank you enough, a handful of posts has resolved the issue whereas 5 hours of phone calls to tiscali and it was never mentioned that when they said 'you line can never be more than 500kbps' that the internal wiring may be a factor, I just kept connecting to the master socket like they asked (rather than the test socket).

Cheers!

Cmcm

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:02:05 PM »

Hi Gary

Thanks for the advice, I think that is the part I need, time to start shopping.

CMc

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 09:18:02 PM »

Your welcome my friend. My very surprised you whern't asked to go into the test point one of the very basic parts of troubleshooting if you ask me. Go to the following link its called the BT accelerator have a wee read and see what you think if it isn't for you then try searching for SSFP on www.bt.com you should beable to find one.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25075&s_intcid=con_intban_accel_bbhowworks_107

Good luck
Gary
Pages: [1] 2