Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Are these the last days of Novell as we know it?  (Read 2091 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Are these the last days of Novell as we know it?
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:57:06 AM »

After the hedge fund Elliott Associates made known its bid for Novell, at some kind of bargain basement price of under a billion US dollars, it seems unlikely that the company will not be acquired by either the fund or some other suitor who is waiting in the wings.

This is an opinion piece, not news exactly, but it gives an interesting analysis of the very real possibility that an old and very well known IT company may be sold and broken up.

http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/37373-are-these-the-last-days-of-novell-as-we-know-it
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Are these the last days of Novell as we know it?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »

Interesting read...  and made me think back of all the companies that used Novell about 8-10 years ago.   Yet you hardly see mention of it these days.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Are these the last days of Novell as we know it?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »

Yes, they used to be well known for widely used products like Netware, but in recent years they've moved over to Linux. A large chunk of their business these days is in corporate sales and support for Suse Linux.
  Eric