Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Re. MS Updates  (Read 4824 times)

scottiesmum

Re. MS Updates
« on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:14 AM »

I know there has been a topic on a similar vein regarding the Browser Choice screen update .... this is slightly different.   I normally have my settings to "advise me but don't auto download/install" ....  today I had the yellow shield advising me of this particular download.   I don't want this so went to 'custom install' and unchecked the KB976002 .... however the yellow shield persists !       The only way I can get rid  of it is to change my update settings to  'do not advise me'    ..... as long as I remember to check every fortnight that's OK, but is there a way to get rid of it having decided to refuse the offered download ?    Many thanks in advance   :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Re. MS Updates
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »

Have you tried running Windows/Microsoft update manually and choosing "custom" and then suppressing it?

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:38:46 AM »

Perhaps I wasn't clear but I thought I'd explained I've already done that    ....     

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:40:38 AM »

Hi Kate,

Have you tried 'hiding it'.Just right click over the update and it should give you an option to hide it.That way it won't bother you again and you can always restore it if need be in the future.

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »

Thank you  Unc  ...  no I haven't tried that, but I will   ;D    sorry to be thick  ::)   but where do you mean I should click over the update ?       I'm using XP SP3 btw  .... :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:49:31 AM »

The update has a KB prefix followed by a few numbers and a short description of what it is.If you highlight the update and then right click on it,there should be the option to hide update or copy details.Select hide update.(this is what I see using Vista by the way).

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:38:14 AM by UncleUB »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »

Kate.
You will probably have to remove (temporarily) your auto update settings.

Remove the setting, re-boot the PC.
Then go to the update site, remove the download check-mark, expand the notification by clicking on the text if needs be then place a check-mark in the "Do not show me this update in the future" option.

Once you come out of there, you should then be able to re-store your auto update notification and should not be notified of it again.

However, it does not really do anything and is a tiny download, so you could even download it, then select the browser that you are already using as your default, or even just delete it.

This update from MS is to conform to EU rules and is mainly for people receiving a new PC.

Warning - while you were typing 2 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.

scottiesmum

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:05:40 AM »

Thanks Unc  ...  I don't get the 'hide' option   .. I think it must be your more modern Windows Vista that offer this option  ...   but thank you  :)

OF  ...thanks for that   ... re deleting the download after letting it install ..  this is not possible according to the information given with the download ....   I thought this screen would pop up  and drive me potty, but if it's just a case of selecting a default browser, I already have Firefox as default, so don't suppose it will be male any difference to me   .....? :-\    I shall have a look at what you suggest ... many thanks.   :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:09:06 AM by scottiesmum »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 10:08:54 AM »

>>> so don't suppose it will be male any difference to me

I sincerely hope not :lol:
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:13 AM »

:P :D    my fingers are faster than my brain !! ::)

I think I've sorted it   ...    following OF's suggestion, I went to the Update site, found the update, unchecked it  .. and ticked that I didn't want to be reminded  of this  update again....   re-booted, yellow shield gone   ...   merci beaucoup !   :)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »

.  I don't get the 'hide' option  

It is there, as I said earlier, you need to click the actual update text to expand the information, then you will see it.

Warning - while you were reading a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

edit
Glad to hear the problem is now solved, now you can stop worrying about it.

PS.
Sorry I did not know you can't delete it.
But it would not of mattered.

second edit:
Must try to learn to type faster (a lot faster)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 10:18:48 AM by oldfogy »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 10:19:20 AM »

Perhaps I wasn't clear but I thought I'd explained I've already done that    ....     
Don't think so, but maybe I wasn't being clear what I meant by "suppress" (i.e. hide). ;)
What version of Windows are you using - the process is slightly different in each?

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 12:06:16 PM »

HP  ..thanks for your response, but as posted above, I've sorted it now  ...   many thanks....

anything