Broadband Related > ISPs

Question - Re: MAC

(1/1)

risk_reversal:
I am considering requesting my MAC and have a couple of questions.

When a MAC is issued it has a 30 day term and expires if not used.

So what is the latest date that the MAC can effectively be used? ie do I have to be activated with a new ISP by MAC expiration.

Example: I request MAC on 1st April. ISP provides me the MAC on the 5th April with an expiry date of 3rd May. Billing cycle is on the 15th of each month (ignore if dates fall on sunday, etc).

Assume 1 month contract which I tendered at MAC request and also assume that migration to another isp takes exactly 5 working days.

Last question, if I request my MAC and do not use it even thought I tendered my 1 month's notice what happens? ie do I get cut off, does the current ISP, seeing that the MAC has not been used, continue to provide service (so long as fee is paid).

Many thanks for any help

Cheers

UncleUB:
This might help.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/migration.htm

waltergmw:
Hi RR,

Two thoughts:-

It is unwise to ask for any type of contract termination if you intend to transfer. Just present your new ISP with the MAC and relax.

Provided you present the MAC to your new ISP, and they initiate the migration, within its 30 day life I believe the process will continue to completion, even if that is beyond the 30 days.

Kind regards,
Walter

roseway:
Just to clear up a couple of your questions:

- You have to use the MAC key within 30 days. It's perfectly OK if the actual migration date is later than this.
- If you don't use the MAC key within 30 days, it lapses and nothing is changed. Your present ISP should continue to provide service.

(Walter posted first, but I'll post this anyway)

risk_reversal:
Thanks for your replies, clearer now.

Cheers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version