Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Painshop Photo Pro X3  (Read 4112 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Painshop Photo Pro X3
« on: March 04, 2010, 09:56:40 PM »

I have just bought Paintshop pro x3 after nearly a month using the free trial version without any mishaps.
Now whenever I use some of the facitities I get the freaded 'Paintshop pro has encountered a problem and need to close....'

The main culprit appears to be the Hig Pass sharpen tool, if I use this the programme either cloes without warning of I get the above warning!

I contacted the Tech support people and was advised to first update my graphics driver, after checking this I find it is up to date.

I shall get back to tech support but wonder if anyone can help in the meantime?

I have Windows XP with SP3, have recently added more memory, I also unistalled the trial version as instructed before loading PPX3 from Cd_Rom

I used to get the 'Encountered an Error warning using PPX but not so often.
Peter

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Painshop Photo Pro X3
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 07:08:22 AM »

The High Pass filter is a very resource hungry tool.

How much RAM have you got ?

This tool very often uses all available RAM and has to turn to the scratch disc/paging file in order to use the HDD as temporary RAM and may even exceed the size of that file.

Can you advise the size of that file, and if you have it set to a user defined size or is it set at "Windows managed"

Do you have a slave drive installed.........for this type of tool having the scratch disc on a drive seperate to that on which the prog is installed is an advantage.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 10:29:25 AM »

a quick check shows 2.56 GB.

I have to go out in a few minutes so will get back to this later, thanks for the input Tuftedduck

Peter

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:27:30 PM »

A brief update on this.

I contacted Corel tech support, an 0800 number furtunately, first time on was told to update my Graphics card driver.
On checking found driver to be the most upto date.

Phoned again today to be told the photos must be jpegs to enable the editing tool! 
I pointed out that they are jpegs, but she insisted that as I had put them on the pc hard disc they were already compressed by my camera ???

So I did as advised and opened them again and saved as jpegs in a new folder, the very first one I tried to edit with Painshop Photo X3 pro I got the dreaded 'Paintshop Photo X3 has encountered a problem.

Immediately phoned back, gone home until 0900hrs tomorrow! >:(

OK, I'll submit this via their website,  :no: It must be easier to to hack into the Bank of England :'(

I think I may yet say, buggerit! And get my money back.

Peter

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 10:40:51 PM »

Seem to be a pain in the hole this program lol. I would be pulling my hair out by now. Paint shop pro alone has a tendency to use up ALOT of resources so it does require that you have enough memory there to cover it because it is such an advanced tool. Have you perhaps tried uninstalling the software and installing it back onto the PC again as there may be a possible corruption on a DLL file associated with the software causing the issue. Just double check aswell and make sure your software is up to date. Make sure aswell your graphics card is good enough to run paint shop pro and isn't outdated. If all else fails call that company back and get your money back off them that is unless you want to continue to try and work out what is wrong with it. You never know the company might actually fix it when you ask for your money back lol.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:35:29 AM »

Snakeman, if I had enough hair to tear out I would too! :(

I phoned the tech help again a short while ago and spoke to a guy who appeared to know what he was talking about and was sympathetic to my problem.

His advice was to download Winaudit, then reproduce the problem in ZŁ several times, after that run winaudit and send the report to him.
That is done now so I am now more hopeful. :angel:

Watch this space.

Peter

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:56:11 AM »

Good stuff keep us posted. It really does depend on who you get on the phone.

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 11:27:13 PM »

At last the problem is resolved, I was asked to update .NET to v 3.5 which I did, then today I was asked to install
http://www.corel.com/akdlm/6763/downloads/PaintShopProPhoto/X3/Patches/PSPPX3_Patch1.exe which has done the trick.

To be fair to Corel they do have an 0800 number and I eventualy got a very helpful guy named Tim who was very patient and solved the problem, if only other services were so good.

Thanks for the input and interest folks.

Peter

anything