Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Odd speed results on ADSL2  (Read 4991 times)

Adder

Odd speed results on ADSL2
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »

Hi,

My migration from Plusnet to Be completed on Monday (1st March) and since connecting the BeBox on Monday evening, the connection has been 100% stable. Checking the router stats shows that the connection hasn't dropped once since it was first established which is great.

However, please could somebody look at the following stats that the BeBox is showing to see if the numbers tie up? Basically, if I download files from various websites with IDM, it'll generally download at between 1.1-1.3MB/s (8.8-10.4Mbps) which I'm very happy with, but I get really varied results with speed checkers...

I'm not sure if I can mention the websites where the speed checkers are, so I won't, but they're all well known ones. One will give me consistent results of around 13.5Mbps, one gives between 17.5 and 21.5Mbps and the other gives me between 17.5 and 25.6, (which isn't even possible!). What I've noticed is that when these speed tests run and the dial starts to count up, it'll get to around 3900Kbps and about 1.5 seconds before the test completes, it'll jump up 2-3 times to very high values, (like 17.x and 21.x) which then gives that as the final result.

Looking at these tests running on other people's connections on Youtube videos, they count up consistently, so I'm not sure why mine doesn't.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more than happy with the speed as it's about a 1/3rd quicker than I was getting with Plusnet, but I just wondered whether this is normal or if anyone thinks the stats are wrong?

The Thomson BeBox is reporting the following:

Line Att Down: 27dB
SNR: 7.0
Sync Speed: 15618

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
Re: Odd speed results on ADSL2
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:09:28 AM »

Certain speed test sites' results are affected by some anti-virus software.

Kaspersky is one that's regularly mentioned.

Adder

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »

Thanks Oranged, that was exactly it, I'm using Kaspersky and after pausing the protection and re-running the tests, they didn't spike at all.

However, one of the speed tests showed 11Mbps and the other one showed 4.5Mbps. Please could somebody tell me whether the speeds I'm getting are correct based on my line stats? - I've posted them below - I'm a little concerned about the high amount of errors at the end. The router is connected directly to the master socket, (not in the test socket though).

Also, if I want to test anything or move the router, will unplugging the connection or power cycling cause me to lose speed like BT do with the training on ADSL Max?

Thanks again!

Line stats:

Uptime: 3 days, 0:23:11
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,325 / 15,618
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 18.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 27.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / BDCM
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 500 / 408,177
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 500 / 697
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 631 / 540

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:57:10 PM »

For 3+ days those stats are OK.....FEC errors are corrected ones.

Here's mine for an interleaved uptime of 8+ days on O2 :-

Errors
      Received FEC           :   1052408
      Received CRC           :       789
      Received HEC           :       570
      Transmitted FEC        :      1688
      Transmitted CRC        :      1688
      Tranmsitted HEC        :      6898

Do you know that you can ask BE to change from Interleave to Fast ?

Adder

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:40:05 PM »

Yes, I've read about a few people that have changed to 'Fast' and some of them have had quite a jump in sync speed, but most of them start getting disconnections intermittently.

Am I right in thinking that I'm best off leaving everything alone for at least 10 days, (there seems to be a mixture of comments on whether Be / ADSL2 services actually have a training period or not), to see if anything changes?

If I want to try some tests like changing the filter or trying the master socket, I'm worried that disconnecting the line to do so might look like a connection drop and cause my sync speed to be reduced. How does that work? How many times can I disconnect the line or turn the router off during storms or holidays without affecting my sync speed?

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 12:29:07 AM »

I don't think it's 10 days.....at least on O2 it's only 3/4 days unless there's a real problem. Remember the BE/O2 DLM is nothing like the BT system.

Other than Orange 20meg which is using a BT-cloned DLM, on LLU you can disconnect as often as you like without penalty.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »

Hi
quote :Yes, I've read about a few people that have changed to 'Fast' and some of them have had quite a jump in sync speed

You would only expect an increase in synch rate for those close to the exchange . They would be going from  7616kbps the normal maximum for an interleaved line to 8128kbps the maximum for an adsl1 line.

regards Jeff
zen user

Adder

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 01:35:51 AM »

Thanks very much for your help Oranged and Jeff.

You would only expect an increase in synch rate for those close to the exchange . They would be going from  7616kbps the normal maximum for an interleaved line to 8128kbps the maximum for an adsl1 line.

When I was on ADSL1 (Max) with Plusnet, I used to get 7616Kbps on an attenuation of 22, that's why I wanted to double check my new ADSL2 stats. According to the Google exchange mapping, I'm around 1.3km away from the exchange or 1.5-1.6km according to the Kitz calculator based on my old attenuation and although the calculator reports a much higher estimated speed, I think that a sync of 15.6Mbps and a profile of around 13.5 is probably about right, I just wanted to make sure that I couldn't squeeze out any more speed without making the line unstable  ;)

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »

You would only expect an increase in synch rate for those close to the exchange . They would be going from  7616kbps the normal maximum for an interleaved line to 8128kbps the maximum for an adsl1 line.

But on a capped ADSL2+ LLU connection the max can be up to 8200kbps. When I was on O2's 8meg Standard I synced at 8186kbps with an attenuation of 37.5dB and 6dB Target SNR.

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:42:49 PM »

Your attenuation is great! Your speed is better than mine  :no:. I say go for fastpath if your line does turn out to be unstable you can always request interleaving to be turned back on again. I would advise you wait the 10 days just incase. BT's profiling usually starts off on fastpath for the first couple of days. Are you LLU or are you on BT's equipment with your SP?

Regards
Gary