Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: More tiscali problems  (Read 2621 times)

Cmcm

More tiscali problems
« on: March 25, 2010, 08:55:03 PM »

Hi all

After my previous problems with my DSL connection and a lot of quality help from this site I got up to 1.8Mbps, but it has now gone back to about 50-150kbps (according to speedtest).

The BT speed test gave a speed of 380kbps with a max achievable of 2.1Mbps configured to 1.8Mbps. I have been trying to get help from Tiscali but they keep calling me back during the day when I have told them I'm out and they won't call my mobile number...they just leave a message and close the call.

The stats from the modem are pasted in below. Any pointers to help me find out if the problem is on my end or at the ISP would be a great help.

Thanks

CMcM

Link Information

Uptime:   9 days, 2:22:13

DSL Type:   G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 2,112

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]:   0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:   12.0 / 17.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:   31.5 / 56.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:   14.0 / 14.5

Vendor ID (Local/Remote):   TMMB / P

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):   49 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):   4 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote):   0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote):   0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   5 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   754 / 106,888

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   754 / 589

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   501 / 541

jeffbb

• Kitizen
Re: More tiscali problems
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:29:15 PM »

HI
quote DSL Type:   G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:   448 / 2,112

These 2 sets of stats show that you are connected to the 8 max package and that you are connecting at 2,112 Kbps. the most likely problem is simply contention.

quote  BT speed test gave a speed of 380kbps with a max achievable of 2.1Mbps configured to 1.8Mbps.
Your throughput was 380Kbps and actual synch speed was 2.1 Mbps
I am not too sure what this   configured to 1.8Mbps is about normally you would have a profile of 1750Kbps for your synch speed of 2,112Kbps

you can check your exchange   for contention
Information on contention for further reading

Regards Jeff

zen user

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:44 PM »

the most likely problem is simply contention.
Tiscali = contention.
The reason I moved on.  :-X

Cmcm

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:00 AM »

Thanks guys, I'll do some research before talking to tiscali.

(the 'configured to 1.8Mbps' was my numpty way of sying that the profile was set to 1750kbps)

Cmcm

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:11:46 AM »

I just checked the bt speed checker, this morning the speed is up to 1.6Mbps. Which would appear to confirm that it is a problem at the the exchange/isp rather than at my end.

Thanks again for the help I'll keep researching on contention and will see what Tiscali have to say.

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »

Assuming you don't want to jump ship completely you could try another one of their services. I've no inside knowledge but you might try chatting to TalkTalk (I.e. both are CarPhoneWarehouse) and see if you could do better on their connection.

Kind regards,
Walter

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »

Make sure your setup is correct aswell. Make sure all sockets you are using at the property are filtered and you are connected directly to the master socket using no extensions. Filters need to be in every socket first. If that is all grand it might be a good idea to go into your test port and then post your stats.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm <<<<<< Picture of what a NTE5 with a test port looks like. You plug your filter in the socket in behind the faceplate to the right hand side.

Good luck
Gary

Edited by admin to remove hotlink to an image on another site. Please read this message.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 06:49:30 AM by roseway »

Cmcm

An Update
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 09:26:39 AM »

So I am now getting consistently > 1Mbps. I am no clearer on what the problem was, the faceplate was originally removed causing a higher speed but subsequently it was replaced with no adverse affect.

Apparently they had some problems on their network just before this started and they reset the IP profile etc at the same time I was removing the faceplate so it may have just been related to that.

I short I am no wiser to what the root cause is. I am thinking about replacing the faceplate with one with a built in filter so that it is all simplified but I'm nervous it could result in the speed dropping again by adding another variable.

Thanks again for all the help, I would probably have given up by now if it wasn't for this forum