Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Speedtester changes  (Read 3071 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
BT Speedtester changes
« on: March 03, 2010, 05:04:34 PM »

Gentlefolk,

I was a little disappointed to see the latest changes in the BT speedtester as applied to one of the very poor lines I monitor.
The connection rates have been removed so it is no longer possible to see immediately how close you might be to the next IP speed bracket without examining the modem line stats.
At first glance the newer picture looks quite good on what is actually a quite appalling line, until you realise the IP Profile aka Assured Rate IP profile has dropped to the lowest point.

The three pictures below show the older better version, the new version and the bit loading (only 108 bits available) on the line in question.

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: BT Speedtester changes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 10:09:03 AM »

Gentlefolk,

Here's a little more of this trivial story.
At one level it is just a nuisance but more formally we have one of the major CPs in the UK providing undocumented test results in different formats without any obvious reason for so doing.
As the numerical results are similar I have no reason to believe the woefully inadequate figures are inaccurate.

In the early hours this morning the result was provided in the older format but it reverted to the newer format by mid morning.
Can anyone establish how and why this happens?

Kind regards,
Walter

[attachment deleted by admin]

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Speedtester changes
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »

I've no information on the subject, but when I just tried it I got the 'old' style result.
  Eric