Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Bakery  (Read 4052 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
The Bakery
« on: March 01, 2010, 10:20:59 AM »

Not a joke but just a little story of my childhood I would like to share.

When I was a lad Saturday mornings always entailed me doing my mum's and grandma's errands.

One of them was always to the bakery.My mum would say to me,bring half a dozen assorted buns/cakes.I would reply,what kind shall I bring mam.?
My mum would reply,bring whatever you want,so off I would go and get the bread and cakes.(My own favourite was bilberry charlottes,so usually I would include a couple of those.

On my return my mum would look at what I had brought and then would say,what have you brought those for,why didn't you bring.... :-X  ;D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: The Bakery
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 10:29:41 AM »

Typical Mum... :D

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:45:05 AM »

Aaaaaaaw Unc    ;D

I once worked with a young chap who was going out to get himself a sandwich; I asked him if he'd pick up a custard tart for me, and said if they don't have a custard tart get me anything   .....   he brought me a pork pie   :'(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »

Aaaaaaaw Unc    ;D

I once worked with a young chap who was going out to get himself a sandwich; I asked him if he'd pick up a custard tart for me, and said if they don't have a custard tart get me anything   .....   he brought me a pork pie   :'(

:D
I love porkpies.....especially the 'jelly' bit  :yum:

My Saturday shopping finished when I had been to the fish and chip shop at lunch time.
I would get to the top of our street,look left up the hill and always see a big queue outside the shop.My heart would sink to the floor and my lip would quiver. :'(
Once that was out of the way my Saturday could begin.
Usually a trip to the Saturday matinee at the local flea-pit cinema.....Gene Autry,Zorro...No one was safe after I had seen them  :lol:

scottiesmum

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »

:lol:

You've reminded me Unc  ....  I used to go to the Saturday  matinee too and we were given a ticket on entry with a number on it, during the interval several numbers would be put up on the screen and if you had one of those numbers you had a free ice cream lolly  !   I won a few of those  :yum:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:13:27 AM »

:lol:

You've reminded me Unc  ....  I used to go to the Saturday  matinee too and we were given a ticket on entry with a number on it, during the interval several numbers would be put up on the screen and if you had one of those numbers you had a free ice cream lolly  !   I won a few of those  :yum:

;D

It use to be 7d to get in.....a sixpence and a penny and you were in heaven for a couple of hours. ;D

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 11:24:30 AM »

I cant remember the exact amount but it was pence   ...  what would   7d - roughly 3 pence  -  buy today   ??   .....  (I'm turning into my grandmother  ;D )

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 12:16:39 PM »

7d :o
That was expensive, it used to cost me 6d, and I had to nag my mother for that.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:19:26 PM »

7d :o
That was expensive, it used to cost me 6d, and I had to nag my mother for that.

We lived in a well to do area... :lol:

(I'm turning into my grandmother

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 12:32:56 PM »

:lol: :lol:

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »

I often wondered how you crushed the grapes......... :lol:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 05:06:46 PM »

I love these stories of your boyhood in Sheffield, unkyUb.........are you sure you're not really Fred Pass.. ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: The Bakery(and other stories)
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 06:03:39 PM »

I love these stories of your boyhood in Sheffield, unkyUb.........are you sure you're not really Fred Pass.. ;D

;D

Oh the stories TD,I could go on forever.Sue has actually told me I should write about my exploits.

The Haircut

One Friday in the Summer holidays I was going to play footy when my mum said,here's 2 bob call and get your haircut while you are out.Now in them days a haircut only meant one thing...short back and sides. :'(
So I thought bugger that I'm only going to have a trim.

On my return in the afternoon as I walked in my mum was on her knee's cleaning (Friday was always  the big cleaning day of the week)
She looked up at me and said,I thought I told you to get your hair cut !!
I've been mam I replied,
With that she sprang to her feet and then proceeded to turn my head around for inspection....YOU'VE BEEN she shouted at me,yes mam I replied.
She then said well you had better get back and tell 'em to do it properly,I'm not paying 2 bob for that.
There was no refusal to go...unless i wanted to lose my head completely,so I had to go back and say to the barber..me mam says that you have got to take some more off..

And he did...with a passion. :'(

Happy days... ;D