Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom to conduct further research on UK broadband speeds  (Read 2620 times)

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Ofcom to conduct further research on UK broadband speeds
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:57:09 PM »

Hi everybody,
Just saw this over on samknows @ http://tinyurl.com/yk9llqb

SamKnows has been awarded a contract by Ofcom (the UK communications regulator) for the provision of research and data collection in relation to UK fixed-line broadband speeds delivered by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and is now looking for volunteers to join the project.

You can sign up there to join the project. If accepted you get a little box to monitor your connection. You must be using a router.

Cheers,
Peter

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Ofcom to conduct further research on UK broadband speeds
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:19:14 PM »

Indeed, I've just had an email from them (SamKnows) about it as I already run one of their current monitoring boxes.
Not sure if that means I could end up with 2 or it's a replacement - the email is a bit short on detail.  :-\

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »

How does the device work?

Do you loose a router port.

What are the requirements for volunteers?
The requirements we ask our volunteers to meet are as follows:
You currently use a router to connect to the Internet (not a USB modem).
You have a stable broadband connection (i.e. it doesn't disconnect frequently). Note that this is just referring to the connection - not the speed.
You are not a heavy downloader. We'd classify anything above 30GB per month as being too heavy for us to gather useful results.
You have a spare power socket near your existing router (or wherever you plan to connect the unit. Keep in mind that a network cable must run between the unit and your router though! We supply a 1m cable).
You need to be on one of the ISPs that we're targeting.
You are not an employee or a family member of an employee of one of the ISPs being monitored.

NOTE: Our units download approximately 2GB per month and upload around 2GB. If you're on a product with a low cap then we'd advise against signing up, or at least informing us beforehand so that we can apply a different testing profile.

In addition to the above we ask that volunteers agree to a set of terms and conditions that are broadly summarised by the points below:

I agree:
Not to unplug the unit or your ISP's router unless I'm away for an extended period of time.
Not attempt to reverse engineer or alter the unit.
To notify Samknows if and when I choose to change ISPs.
To return the unit to Samknows should you I longer wish to be involved (Samknows to pay reasonable postage costs).
To connect the unit in the way described in the documentation.
To keep Samknows updated with valid contact details (i.e. email and postal address).

« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 05:05:37 PM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »

Do you loose a router port.
With the "old" system rather the opposite, but with the new one who knows?

The "old" system supplied a custom firmware Linksys router that acted like a switch in your network. You connected it to your router and then plugged any wired devices into it - 4 ports available.
If you needed more ports you would then typically have 3 spare on your router, but they wouldn't be monitored so best to avoid except in emergencies.
Wireless traffic was monitored too.
When your network was totally idle the device would run a battery of performance tests, on a regular basis. Results are logged centrally and you have access to your own.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 08:50:24 AM »

As noted in Kitz's thread the old system is being rolled into the new one.
I thnk the new one probably uses slightly cheaper technology.

anything