Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Keeping email address when changing ISP  (Read 19428 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Keeping email address when changing ISP
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 10:01:26 AM »

For the technically ambitious you could even implement your own mail server, which is a lot more secure (secure as in 'private') than entrusting it to the IT dept. of your ISP.   I've never done so as it would mean opening a port in the router's firewall, and the thought of the slightest chink in the router's armour fills me with dread.

I have been thinking of trying that, at the moment I am trialing WHS (windows home server) and wondered if I could install an Email service on that.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »

I have been thinking of trying that, at the moment I am trialing WHS (windows home server) and wondered if I could install an Email service on that.

Can't help you there.  If I was going to do it, I'd use Linux, as I do for pretty much everything other than GUI applications, largely just because of a personal long-standing anti-Microsoft prejudice. Even so, I'd still not be able to advise, as I've never done it. :)

Anybody else?

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 12:38:00 PM »

BB
Thank you very much for the step by step instros - you've obviously detected my ability level! :baby:
- no joke! I am (but by now probably shouldn't be) amazed at how complex everything I try to do seems to be.
I just use Outlook Express - open it & in come the emails. I have learned to go onto the Orange website & gain access that way as a result of some emails not 'downloading' for whatever reason. Which leads to:
7LM
Thanks to you again.
I am going to have to look into this & read up (more!) - I looked through some parts of the Freeparking site - I really am not sure about 'forwarding' etc.
I know you refer to
forwarding mail to your ISP because that's probably the easiest thing to do
I take this to mean: I pay for & set up a domain name eg. Jones.me.uk and then this gives me the facility to set up (say) 2 email addresses fred@jones.me.uk & mary@jones.me.uk (which I can keep for as long as I want provided I continue to pay). Let's say I switch ISP to Idnet from Orange - I would want access to my emails from home PC via Outlook Express & when away via laptopwifi or internet cafe etc. whch I have done so far by going to Orange website & logging in to my account. By forwarding to my ISP - does this mean emails go from sender to Domain (somewhere??) then are passed automatically to my account on ISP - then are 'called off' byOutlook Express when I start that?
I really feel that I am asking for too-simple explanations for a site like this. An easier way might be for someone to point me to a simple-to-understand guide to emails/domains etc,?? If such a place exists? Please don't misunderstand - I really appreciate efforts.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 01:14:26 PM »

email forwarding by freeparking.co.uk just goes on behind the scenes with no action on your part after its set up.

I seem to remember you can set up specific 'rules' for up to ten users.  So email for the_dog@.....co.uk would be forwarded to fido@<whatever>.demon.co.uk, the_goldfishfish@..... could be forwarded to goldie@..... etc.     Fido then sets up his demon email client so that the_dog@......co.uk  appears in the 'sender/reply to' fields of outgoing mail.   Same should work for for orange and other ISPs too,  of course, I've just used demon as an example.

You can also set up a 'default' rule for all other mail, so even if somebody miss-spells your name it still gets delivered.

Once you register a domain with freeparking, you're given access to a 'control panel' that allows you to configure how email is treated.  I seem to remember it's pretty easy but, annoyingly, their site seems to be running awfully slow for me today so I can't be more specific.

There's several other providers competing with freeparking, and they're not necessarily the best.  I stick with them on the basis of 'better the devil you know' and, in any case, my experience has always been good and the cost always affordable, if not quite the cheapest.

BTW,  I've thought of yet another advantage... you can choose a domain name that is easy for you to remember, and also more meaningful to friends & family, so it's easier for them to remember too.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 01:43:42 PM »

I have my domain set up like this at 1&1 *@maydomainname.co.uk

Then say I sign up to amazon I can use the Email amazon@maydomainname.co.uk then in outlook I can make a rule to put it into a Amazon folder.

Then Emails do not get lost amongst the spam and if that address starts being used by letsparty.com I know who gave them the address.

kapt69,

I learnt a long time ago not to be scared to try things on computers if you don't try you don't learn anything.

If you follow the instructions I gave and they work come back and I will show you how to set the dialup account up, it is all really easy.

That is if you have a modem on computer, if it is a desktop it may not have but most laptops do.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:50:37 PM by BritBrat »

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »

sevenlayermuddle said:
One more thing occurred to me re private domains...  With a .com domain name the registrant's full contact name & address are in full public view via the 'whois' servers.  With a .co.uk name, private (non-trading) registrant's can opt not to disclose their address.

Strictly speaking not completely accurate. I have several .com domain names which all have Private Registrations with end result that if you did a whois search the only details available would be those of the Proxy as per below.

http://www.domainsbyproxy.com/popup/whoisexample.aspx?app%5Fhdr=0&ci=5165

Similarly, I have a .net domain name and that also has a Private Registration.

Years ago when I registered my first domain name, the only company which I found that provided this service was GoDaddy. I have yet to run across another one.

Not all TLDs can be registered as private and I vaguely seem to recall that .co.uk was an exception.

Good Luck

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 12:01:37 PM »

I have several .com domain names which all have Private Registrations with end result that if you did a whois search the only details available would be those of the Proxy as per below.

http://www.domainsbyproxy.com/popup/whoisexample.aspx?app%5Fhdr=0&ci=5165

That's interesting.  Does it add much to the cost?

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »

sevenlayermuddle said:
That's interesting.  Does it add much to the cost?

About $8.50cts a year per domain name ie £5. The actual amount will be on the GoDaddy site.

Personally, I think that is a small [fair] price to pay to prevent your personal details from being plastered all over the web where any Tom, Dick, Harry, or Mr Wong can see them.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 12:56:15 PM by risk_reversal »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »

TBH, I've never really worried about it, I've a few .coms and never had any problems that were attributable to domain registration.

The other thing that would worry me is that I'd be placing a lot of trust in 'domainsbyproxy'.  Suppose my domain name became of some value, how easy would it be for them to sell my domain to somebody else?  I assume that would be illegal, breach of contract etc.,  but people do sometimes break the law and it can be very difficult and expensive to get anything done about it. 

I see there's no shortage of recommendations, and reassurances about their business integrity and legitimacy, but that can change.  Not that many years ago for example, most people would probably have held google in high esteem, these days well..  I'm not so sure.

But I am definitely interested, and will look into it further next time I want  to register a .com.  Thanks for pointing it out.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2010, 02:09:49 PM »

sevenlayermuddle said:
The other thing that would worry me is that I'd be placing a lot of trust in 'domainsbyproxy'.

A point which I also considered at the time. My fears where allayed for the following reasons. Firstly, I discovered that Domains by Proxy was/is in fact owned by GoDaddy and secondly, friends of mine in the U.S reported that they had only ever heard good things being said of GoDaddy and that they were/are a reputable company.

Personally, I feel comfortable with this arrangement even with the knowledge that a couple of my domain names have a small (and not insignificant) dollar value attached to them. 

In any case food for thought.

Good Luck
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 02:15:01 PM by risk_reversal »

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2010, 02:51:05 PM »

Not sure if I may of missed it, but you could also "mass email" by replying to all the emails you have received even though they may not be in your address book.

If using Outlook/Outlook Express, just open the folder and select "Reply to All" that way you only need to create one short message advising everyone of your new address.
Obviously anyone who does not need it will just disregard it but it is by far the easiest way.

If there are very many, then you may need to select say only 20 - 30 at any one time.

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 10:45:45 AM »

Hi Folks
Just a note to say thanks for all the info.
I haven't given up - just taking time to absorb and look into it all.
K

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »

Have you tried making a dial up account using your broadband user name and password, it may not work but you have nothing to lose.

Phone_Number=08440564000

Disable Modem or delete account after so it can't be used without your knowledge.

Email settings:
SMTP_Server=smtp.orangehome.co.uk
POP_Server=pop.orangehome.co.uk

« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 02:29:08 PM by BritBrat »
Pages: 1 [2]