Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rewiring ADSL Connection  (Read 10911 times)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Rewiring ADSL Connection
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 10:10:16 AM »

could I just use phone cable, can you get the BT cable?
Yes, external grade phone cable would be reasonably OK. It's twisted but not shielded, so slightly inferior.
It does normally have a steel strain relief though so is less flexible.

If you don't like the colour of ADSL cable though you could always paint it...... ;)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 10:18:09 AM »

@ BritBrat,

That black cable looks quite adequate for your purpose @45.8 p/metre. It doesn't contain steel strain wires so ought to bend round corners reasonably well.

See also:-

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_Monkey_Shop__Cat5e_Solid_External_Cable_146.html

where a 100 metres cost 41.13 p/metre PLUS postage

So there's very little difference either in price or probably in electrical characteristics.

I suspect that I and 7LM have been splitting hairs when you consider the length of the copper and aluminum back to the exchange plus all the birds-nest joints** and the PCP connections.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/29498497

Kind regards,
Walter

EDIT to add **  I believe the average BT line contains around 37 joints and with some in our parts, it must be a very much higher figure.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:26:17 AM by waltergmw »

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »

Another cable question.

I want to terminate the A B connections from the master socket to a RJ45 faceplate then connect a RJ11 cable from modem to the RJ45 faceplate.

I have a few RJ11 phone cables with plugs here and they all seem to be wired differently, some to the two inside pair of 4 and some to the outside pair of 4 and some to all 4 connections and to add further confusion some are straight through and some crossed so you can guess I can't make sense of it.

So what terminals do I connect to from A (white/blue) B (Blue/white) to the RJ45 face plate?

Reading a few sites it seems to be the two middle connections but what one would go to A or B, I have a feeling it does not matter what way around.

So to sum up do they go to the two in the middle or the two outside connections and does it matter what way around?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 02:24:44 PM »

Hi BritBrat,

Although your questions sound simple there are many variations of sockets and cables.
In all the modem RJ 11 cables I've come across it's the central pair which is normally used.
I suggest some experiments to prove the actual connections, but if you wire the RJ45 socket using the blue colour coded slots and matching white / blue and blue / white wires it usually works properly.

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2]

anything