Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Opera Browser  (Read 27040 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Opera Browser
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 04:28:48 PM »

Thank you TD for putting up with,taking the trouble to answer my queries. :)

No doubt I shall be back to torment you in the coming days.  ;D

Said I would be back... ;D

Is there such a thing as 'auto fill' forms in Opera.

How do you add /remove things from the 'personal bar'
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:43:03 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 05:11:48 PM »

No probs. unkyUb, glad to try and assist.

Speed Dial is not something I use, but have been looking at the options.

It is only available in a new tab, unless......you can set it as a sort of home page by tools>preferences>start up.....click on the little arrow on the right of that and from the drop down menu select "start with Speed Dial"

To delete anything off any toolbar, right click on the offending icon and then go customise>remove from toolbar

Autofill...... go tools>preferences>forms

:)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 06:16:41 PM »

Autofill...... go tools>preferences>forms
  ;) Thanks TD,sorted.

Next,

Is that no option to download McAfee Site Advisor in Opera,does it have something similar to rate the safety of websites ?

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »

McAfee Site Advisor and similar do not work with Opera.

Opera has built in "fraud protection"........to enable tools>preferences>security>tick "enable fraud protection"

Opera then has colour coded flashes green ok, yellow fine but with caution etc down to red which is avoid at all costs..which flashes appear next to the url in the address bar.
It only works on sites/pages where you are making a payment of some sort or where other sensitive data is required so it is not a site advisor in the same way as McAfee but it is the nearest you can get........and is very effective.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 07:50:28 AM »

I see,Thanks TD.I just have got use to seeing the green/yellow/or red ticks against websites.  :)

I now seem to have got to grips with my bookmarks.Is it possible to download google toolbar,or similar.?

How can I add bookmarks to the 'personal bar' without adding them to the side 'panel'

I just thought I could have a list of bookmarks on the side bookmark panel and then some more on the personal bar?

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 08:16:40 AM »

Just installed and imported bookmarks from IE6 and no problem at all.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 08:28:49 AM »

>>>I just have got use to seeing the green/yellow/or red ticks against websites<<<  :thumbs:

The official Google Toolbar is not supported on Opera. There are various workarounds such as the one at http://www.favbrowser.com/google-toolbar-for-opera/ .........but I am not sure if I trust anything like that.

To get bookmarks onto the personal bar :-

If it is an existing bookmark, drag and drop from the panel then go into bookmarks>manage bookmarks and delete from the panel listing.
If it is a new bookmark, open the page as required then go bookmarks>bookmark page and when that opens click on "details" and a dialogue opens where you can tell Opera where to put the bookmark, panel or personal bar.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 08:39:44 AM »

To get bookmarks onto the personal bar :-

If it is an existing bookmark, drag and drop from the panel then go into bookmarks>manage bookmarks and delete from the panel listing.
If it is a new bookmark, open the page as required then go bookmarks>bookmark page and when that opens click on "details" and a dialogue opens where you can tell Opera where to put the bookmark, panel or personal bar.

Ok,I dragged it onto the personal bar,then opened bookmarks>mange bookmarks,where I was confronted with a list of my bookmarks.I deleted the one I had dragged onto the personal bar,but it also removed it from the side panel.

I re added the bookmark,ticked add to personal bar,but id also added it to the side panel as well even though that box was left un ticked?

Edit,

Well I am still using it.Tbh I find it very fast,probably a fraction faster than FF.It does take some getting use to,but I quite like it and it is a lot better than IE7 (not tried 8 yet)  :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:20:35 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »

Odd.......will need to ponder a bit about these bookmarks.... :hmm:............and get them sorted before you relapse into wuss mode  again... :D

Will be back.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 10:56:16 AM »

and get them sorted before you relapse into wuss mode  again..

:D

Edit,I have been reading about the new Opera 10.5 release.Is this now ready for everyone?Only when I check for updates,it says Opera is up to date?

Apparently I am running version 10.10
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 11:51:49 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »

Version 10.10 build 1893 is the current "final"..................version 10.50 is still in beta, and as it is a beta you cannot update from one to the other. You can download and install 10.50 alongside 10.10.........but that is fraught with problems when trying to integrate bookmarks/passwords/forms between the two and you are liable to lose the lot. Better to wait till it is final then do an over the top upgrade.
When 10.50 becomes final, you can update by going help>check for updates and let it to it's thing.

I am baffled by this bookmarks placement thing.
I do not usually use a panel or a personal bar, but set both up today and have been trying to achieve what you wish..ie bookmark on the personal bar but not in the panel.
I am getting the same problem as you....the little dialogue where you appear to have the option to nominate where you want the bookmark appears to be meaningless.

I have posted a question about this in the Opera forum...will relay any info.

edit to add.......

Definitive reply from the Opera guru, Tamil,.......................not possible to have it on personal bar but not in the panel..........http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=410951&t=1266244419&page=1#comment4226311

Tamil has made no comment about the apparent personal bar/panel option boxes...will ask him again.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:37:44 PM by tuftedduck »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »

Thanks TD, I have now not bothered with the personal bar as it seems to duplicate what you have on the side bookmark panel.
It works the other way round..ie  if you remove from personal bar it still leaves the bookmarked website on the side panel.

Re 10.50 ......will wait till it is offered through the help> check for updates route.  :)

Its me again.  ::)

The search box at the side of the address box........can you set it to predictive text,so that when you start typing it tries and predicts what you are looking for.
At present you have to type in what you are looking for and then hit 'enter' which takes you to Google.If not is there an alternative that does this.

I find this handy in FF (google search) for checking spelling quickly. :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:28:09 PM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 07:40:07 AM »

>>> .can you set it to predictive text, <<<

I don't think so...at least I cannot get it to work.
If you type in a full name in there, such as kitz, and hit enter...it will take you to the full Google page.

You can, of course, if you had Google as a home page and were using the main search box in that.

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 08:36:33 AM »

Just a thought, try exporting favourites from FF to a folder on desktop then from Opera import them.

EDIT:

I just tried to do it but Opera does not support it from FF.

What you could do is export FF to IE then import from IE to Opera.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:48:31 AM by BritBrat »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 09:27:18 AM »

You can, of course, if you had Google as a home page and were using the main search box in that.

Thanks TD.

What you could do is export FF to IE then import from IE to Opera.

Thanks BritBrat,

Tbh I have now manually installed what bookmarks I really need.I have loads on FF that I very rarely use so I will leave them there (I can always keep going back to FF if required)

I like both FF and Opera equally so I will probably keep alternating on a regular basis.

I think its just a case of finding out what each browser has and doesn't have.In an ideal world it would be nice to customise your favourite bits from each browser. :)

Will the new Opera 10.50 have many features tha 10.10 doesn't.?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 09:34:24 AM by UncleUB »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7