Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Opera Browser  (Read 27613 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Opera Browser
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2010, 04:25:41 PM »

:o

The answer is "as many as they need to ensure it is bug free before release".  Opera is particularly careful and may well move from a Beta stage to RC1 or even RC 2 (RC = Release Candidate) before finally releasing the finished product.  This could all take several weeks from start to finish but  shouldn't be too long now!!  :)

Doesn't sound as though they have been that careful.  :-X

Glad I didn't try to update just yet...........Being a wuss can have its benefits. :D

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2010, 04:49:25 PM »

They usually are very careful and I have never had a problem before.
I have noticed, however, that the new version states it is build 3296....exactly the same as the beta version, so maybe we have been conned.

Anyway, have just reinstalled and this time all is well, working fine but to be honest I don't see much difference in performance over the older version.....however, it's in and it's staying..no more fiddling about for TD today.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »

Having a look at the Opera forums,there seems to be a lot of complaints about 10.50.Looks like there is still a lot of work to be done still.

Still telling me I am using the latest version,so I am wondering if they are holding back till these glitches are sorted out.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:10:05 AM by UncleUB »

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »

>>>Still telling me I am using the latest version,so I am wondering if they are holding back till these glitches are sorted out.<<<

It is being held back from auto-updates as the version is not yet finalised for all platforms (Linux and Apple yet to be completed ) but will be soon.

I have been using the new version for two or three days now and am very impressed. I love it...

Going back to my earlier post....having studied my event viewer for incidents at or around the time of my BSOD experience, it is clear now to me that that occurance was unrelated to the installation of Opera but was a glitch elsewhere in the system ( now resolved ).
I think this is a good case in point.....I blamed Opera which was not the culprit and I believe that a lot of the problems aired on the Opera forums also fall into the category of user error.

It is a great browser and it is working a treat...so fast and easy to use. I don't know what the UI may look like with the Aero graphics in Vista or Win7...on XP it looks as before with minor changes to the icons etc.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 08:32:13 AM »

Well as soon as its available via updates I will give it a go.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »

It is being held back from auto-updates as the version is not yet finalised for all platforms (Linux and Apple yet to be completed ) but will be soon.

Still waiting for the auto update.  :(

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »

Not yet ready, unkyUb.  :(

A lot of users are reporting bugs and glitches and there is a bit of a rewrite going on...........although I am not experiencing any problem at all.

It transpires that this version is in fact a beta for which the roll-out date was was rather rushed on Opera before it was finalised  in order that the browser and the version could be included in the new Microsoft "Browser Option" menu thingy.

So it was pushed out early.....and has caused some upsets.

Will keep a weather eye open and give a shout when it is ok to update.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2010, 06:21:47 PM »

Will keep a weather eye open and give a shout when it is ok to update.
  :)

:thumbs:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2010, 02:11:36 PM »

The latest version, 10.51, is now available as an auto download/install.

This new version by-passes version 10.50...the one that caused problems to countless users. I, however, will be not so eager to update after my recent experiences and will be waiting and watching the Opera forums to see how the update goes for other users.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2010, 02:59:03 PM »

The latest version, 10.51, is now available as an auto download/install.

This new version by-passes version 10.50...the one that caused problems to countless users. I, however, will be not so eager to update after my recent experiences and will be waiting and watching the Opera forums to see how the update goes for other users.

Yes I have just had a look and it is available.........I will hold fire for the time being

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2010, 10:07:28 AM »

I downloaded version 10.51 this week as a download from within Opera using the "check for updates" button.  I have had no problem with it and it does seem very fast and good to use.  Whatever problems occurred for TD on the beta version or the original v.10.5 do seem to be ironed out.  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2010, 03:21:18 PM »

Hello, jazz..........I have made that upgrade too, and am well pleased with it.

Much fiddling and testing and rafts of help and advice from the kind Kitizens have convinced me that my intermittent connection problems were not connected to Opera but to some other external force ( and I think I know what it is but am not tempting fate by naming it...just yet )

Two things.

The menu bar is disabled by default.....to get it back if you want it, hit the Alt. key........that gives the menu bar and the option to show it fulltime if you wish.

More importantly.......program updates are set to automatic by default....so you could get quite a surprise some time. If you don't want that go tools>preferences>advanced>security>program updates and adjust to your liking.

jazz

• Reg Member
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »

Thanks TD - yes, I'd noticed both those features.  I don't like auto updates - I like a bit of control so I unchecked the auto update box.  To be honest I was a bit sorry that it was ready ticked and only on offer at the time of installation.  I got the menu bar back up because I am used to seeing it and quite like it being there but I did think the screen seemed less cluttered without it.  I think if I were a new user I wouldn't open the menu bar up - I would just get used to using the drop down menu from the little Opera symbol in the corner.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2010, 07:13:38 AM »

Hi all,

so when you update to 10.51(from in my case 10.10),does it update your bookmarks etc ?Is everything as it was set up in 10.10 ?

I'm going to update it later this morning.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »

Good morning, unkyUb

When you update, a window will pop up asking if you want to clean install to a different directory to the existing version.....or if you want to upgrade with your current preferences intact.

Choose that second option ( which is actually the first on the menu) and your prefs/bookmarks/passwords/forms etc will all be preserved as they are and carried into the new version.

Hope the change goes without problem... :fingers:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7