Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Corrupted email addresses  (Read 2908 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Corrupted email addresses
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »

Can anyone shed some light on how email addresses in my address books get corrupted?

I recently had to email the same note to an ex army group, most of whom I rarely email, and found almost a dozen came back delivery failure, on checking them agaist those in my data base I found most of them were unchanged but a few had an aadditional letter tagged onto the end, i.e.  another@talktalk.netm  where the 'm' came from I have no idea, can anyone help, and can it be prevented?

Regars to all.

Peter

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Corrupted email addresses
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:37:30 PM »

Have you got a virus ?.
Some of the virus's harvest email address's by looking in your address book and send them off to spam others etc. it may have corrupted your address book ?(just a guess).
Scan your computer for virus's, malware, spyware and do you use a good firewall ? When I used windows I used Free Zonealarm Firewall.

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Re: Corrupted email addresses
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:19:30 PM »

Hi Mike,

I don't think I have a virus, at least not detected  on the regular scans.

After careful checking I found just the one address corrupted this time by just the one added character, similar to what has happened in the past, either that or a dot left out/removed.

If the were new contacts I'd just think of it as my error but as the occur in regular but not often used addresses I suspect my system.

Thanks for the reply.

Peter