Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Binatone ADSL 2100 Router  (Read 11089 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Binatone ADSL 2100 Router
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 12:57:46 AM »

Kitz says :-
What does your profile on the portal say
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

This takes you to a login page ! It would not let me in . >:(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 01:19:38 AM »

>> This takes you to a login page ! It would not let me in

That url only works if youre a PlusNet customer.

Every day (well a couple of times a day) BTw send out something called a delta report to the ISPs which advises them of any changes to your bRAS profile.

Some ISPs make this info available to their customers, iirc Zen does something similar for their customers too.  Not sure if eclipse do or not.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 07:46:07 PM »

Just quick post to say that at the moment I am syncing at 5568K and my noise margin is 13.8dB. My download speed has been at 4.5Meg for about a day and a half. It would seem that my target noise margin has been dropped to 9db because my noise margin yesterday evening approached 11db several times. This seems to suggest that BT will adjust noise margins quicker than others have experienced in the past. Maybe the system is improving. I think I'll stay with my old router!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 03:40:14 AM »

>> I am syncing at 5568K ... My download speed has been at 4.5Meg for about a day and a half.

Good stuff.  4500 is the IP profile for that sync range therefore youre getting the correct speeds :)

>> It would seem that my target noise margin has been dropped to 9db because my noise margin yesterday evening approached 11db several times.

Not really:/
Its perfectly normal for SNR Margin to fluctuate below your Target SNR and all lines will fluctuate on a day to day (hour to hour) basis.

Whilst SNR Margin and Target SNR are related, they definitely arent the same and are independant figures.
The only way that we can get an idea of what our target SNR is set at is by looking at the SNR Margin immediately after a router reboot. 
The target SNR will normally* be the same as the SNR Margin rounded down to the next multiple of 3.  Either being 6,9,12 or 15dB

------
* This doesnt work if you are close to the exchange since your SNR Margin is going to be pretty good and youre likely to have spare margin over and above the highest attainable sync speed of 7616 - 8128.
Therefore if you are syncing in the 7616-8128 range you cant use this method to check what your target SNR is.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 01:15:55 PM »

I've looked back at my Routerstats records and the SNR margin immediately after a reboot seems to be consistently around 15dB. It seems I was giving BT too much credit for acting quickly. My sync speed today is 5354K with noise fluctuating between 14 and 16 dB. Download speed is 4 Meg. Overhead lines in the thundery weather can't be helping but I'm still reasonably pleased with Maxdsl now. Once again thanks to everyone who has taken an interest.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2007, 09:07:35 PM »

Certainly looks like your target SNR is still set at 15dB.

The main thing is that your line is now stable and you are still getting decent speeds within your profile range.  :)

Because BTw seem to be very reluctant these days to manually configure the target SNR then your best chance of doing so would be getting a router that supported DMT tool.  It may be worth while keeping an eye on your SNR Margin and seeing what it does in bad weather.  If it still stays at around 6-9db or above then you could probably eke more out of your line.  If it starts dropping much lower than 6dB then I'd leave things as they are since you line obviously needs a larger margin.

-----
Pages: 1 [2]

anything