Broadband Related > ISPs

Migrating from ADSL Max to Be?

(1/4) > >>

Adder:
Hi,

I've been having a look around the forums for advice, but have a few questions...

I've been thinking about moving from Plusnet to Be for a few weeks now because I can't take any more throttling in the evening and being restricted to modem speeds once I hit 13GB on a £22.99 package  :(

The only thing is that my connection has always been really stable and never drops on ADSL Max. My current router stats are:

Up Speed: 448000
Down Speed: 7616000
SNR Margin: 10 or 10.5
Loop Att: 22.5

According to various ADSL calculators, my ADSL2+ speed should be anywhere from 17-20Mbps or 14 according to the Be site, all of which would be great, but I've read some posts where people are having slower speed on ADSL2+ than they were originally.

Has anyone had experience when moving from these kind of stats and being disappointed with the speed?

Also, my router is a Draytek 2800G and when using the calculators, I've been putting the Loop Attenuation of 22.5 in the 'Download Attenuation' field, but as the router doesn't define if this is download attenuation or not, I'm not sure if this value is correct?

Finally, a lot of posts seem to say not to use the supplied Thomson router that Be supply, but then I've also read that the Drayteks have problems too, so I'm a bit confused at to whether to make the jump?  ???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!  :)

HPsauce:
Should be a good move, I went from PN to Be a while back (nothing wrong with PN for me, I just wanted ADSL2+ speeds) with attenuation 21dB and get about 20mbps.

The BeBox  (Thomson) is fine for normal use. I like many technical Be users choose to use a Netgear DG834GT, but then I already was using it, know it well and they work very well with Be exchange equipment.

Adder:
Thanks very much for the advice HPsauce. The main reason for the move isn't anything to do with the Plusnet network, it's because with my usage and my children playing online games and downloading through Steam and the Playstation network, I've been hitting the 13GB peak time usage within 2-3 weeks over the last 3 months, (and that's with restricting them as much as possible and trying to schedule the downloads after midnight).

I knew that I had a couple of new ADSL2 routers somewhere, (one of the benefits of being a technical network engineer  ;))...I just found them and one is a Billion BiPAC 7402G and the other is a Netgear DG834G, (non Sky branded - just a standard Netgear), but not a GT. Is the only difference the wireless speed and would this be suitable, or should I look at trying to get hold of a GT? Is it something to do with firmware?

Thanks!

stevie:
Quote "but I've read some posts where people are having slower speed on ADSL2+ than they were originally."

Is it going to matter that much, I get far less speed than Be quote you & have easily done more in a 24hrs period than you do in a month, its unlimited & no throttles.

Go for it & I use the BeBox....AKA Thompson 585v7 it works fine, but I do have a v6 as a backup.

HPsauce:

--- Quote from: Adder on February 09, 2010, 07:51:13 PM --- one is a Billion BiPAC 7402G and the other is a Netgear DG834G
--- End quote ---
Billion have proved problematic with Be though some models have I think been made to work OK.
What version DG834G do you have? V4 is ideal for Be, others work but are sub-optimal as they do not have Broadcom chipsets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version