Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Sunday (inbetween birthdays) Chat  (Read 3467 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Sunday (inbetween birthdays) Chat
« on: February 07, 2010, 09:44:38 AM »

Good morning all  :)

I had a lovely night last night,and no hangover. :)

Blue is causing us a lot of concern at present,his back legs keep giving way and he is struggling getting back up again.We have noticed how his health has deteriorated in the last 3 months.
We shall see how he goes in the next few weeks,but he has to be able to have a certain quality of life.

Nothing much planned today,except some more medicene later.  :silly:

Have a nice day whatever you have planned  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Sunday (inbetween birthdays) Chat
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 09:57:32 AM »

Good morning all :)

Oh dear, poor Blue. It must be heartbreaking to see. :(

I'm confined to the house today with a sore toe. I thought overnight that it was a flare-up of gout - I've had it before, and it's not the result of drinking too much port, in case you wondered. But it seems to be just a sore toe, so I'm not going to blubber (not yet anyway). :angel:

Have a good day everyone. :)
  Eric

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 10:01:02 AM »

'Allo 'Allo   from a very pleasant start to the day at chez nous  .....

Unc, sorry to hear that Blue is struggling, is he on Glycoflex 3 for his arthritis ?   I understand that this is very, very good, and I think you can buy it from other than the vet.  It might be worth asking him at least.   As you say his well being and quality of life is the main thing.      ...............   Glad you enjoyed your evening, looks like this birthday is going to be a lengthy one  ;D  Enjoy !

Hope everyone else is up and running  and that you have a good Sunday !   :)    

Ooops  ...   Bonjour Eric !  you nipped in  ... ;D      Hope the toe gets better  :(   you can have a blubber  if you like  ;D   take care !

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »

I'm confined to the house today with a sore toe. I thought overnight that it was a flare-up of gout - I've had it before,

Me too, not for quite a while now though.The pain is excruciating when you get it.  :ouch:

Unc, sorry to hear that Blue is struggling, is he on Glycoflex 3 for his arthritis ?   I understand that this is very, very good, and I think you can buy it from other than the vet.

He's not on any kind of anti -inflammatories so I will get Sue to look in to that,thanks Kate.  :)

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 11:16:49 AM »

Glycoflex 3 - not cheap, but worth it  http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=879  Our previous Labrador was on it and it did prolong his quality of life.

Have a good day everyone - just chilling out here and reading another book.

Colin

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2010, 11:32:44 AM »

Thanks for the link Colin.  :)

We are wondering as Blus is old (15 next) would this actually benefit him.?

I myself find that taking anti- inflammatories has little effect on my advanced arthritis.

scottiesmum

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 12:02:09 PM »

Unc there are some  very favourable reviews on here    http://foxyurl.com/ONN

.... including owners of elderly dogs.    It's also interesting to see that the Vet charges were considerably more  than other sources, the link that Colin has posted seems extremely reasonable,and it appears that once the 6 weeks initial dose has been taken, the maintenance dosage for 6 months looks reasonable, depending on Blue's weight.. ..  It's obviously something that Vets use for this condition.   I would certainly get Scotty on this if necessary.       :)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 01:54:19 PM »

We have used Metacam on several of our dogs over the years when they got old and rheumaticky. Last time when we asked the vet about it for our 12 year old rescue dog Lucy, he got a bit twitchy and started talking about blood tests and other expensive treatments. Vets seem to be having to do this now to protect themselves from litigation if the treatment has adverse effects. Understandable but one has to keep a sense of proportion. To cut a long story short we persuaded him to provide a limited amount with an undertaking to not give it to the dog continuously. Since five days treatment produced the usual restoration of easy movement we stopped then. I will do the same thing again when Lucy's movement becomes obviously painful. Blue may well get the same benefit.
Tony

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 04:00:08 PM »

Afternoon all,

Glad you enjoyed your party last night Uncy AND no hangover... you musta been summat wrong  ;D  Was really sorry to hear about poor Blue...dreadful for animals when they can't tell you where it hurts.  Hope something can be sorted for the little lad, can imagine how worried you and Sue must be.

Hope your toe is less sore now Eric...my dad used to suffer gout and I know it was agonising for him.  Was even wondering if I had inherited summat like that with a very sore and painful heel spreading fround the sides of the foot...sometimes excrutiating to walk....but then I guess it might even be arfur itis..sob.

Enjoy the rest of Sunday and hope you all have a good week.

Chrissie
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »

Chrissie,   :) Bonjour !    I was interested to read about your heel problem   ...   I had exactly the same thing a couple of years ago, I found inserting one of those gel filled heel pads into my shoe did the trick;  it is a known condition but I've forgotten its name  ::)  ... however no problems now  .... so it might be worth a try for you.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 03:55:29 PM »

Chrissie,   :) Bonjour !    I was interested to read about your heel problem   ...   I had exactly the same thing a couple of years ago, I found inserting one of those gel filled heel pads into my shoe did the trick;  it is a known condition but I've forgotten its name  ::)  ... however no problems now  .... so it might be worth a try for you.

Hi Kate, I should have said the pain is at the back of the heel, I think it's the Achilles Tendon (?), but the condition I think you mean is Plantar Faciitis (sp?) that is very painful too, but not sure if that is what mine is....as I keep away from the docs as much as possible then I probably won't know until I ask lol.
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »

but the condition I think you mean is Plantar Faciitis

Thats very interesting Chrissie,Sue has been suffering with pain under her heel since before Christmas.I have just looked up Plantar Fasciitis and it sounds just what she has been suffering from.
She is on her feet all the time at work and it is worse when she first gets up and puts her foot to the floor.

I have printed this off to show her.Tbh I had never heard of it so thanks for the info. :)

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Plantar-Fasciitis.htm

scottiesmum

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 04:41:33 PM »

That sound familiar Chrissie   ....    thank you  !       

Unc,    (Sue's symptoms sound very much like those which I had)      the gel inserts were extremely effective  ....    if you were perhaps  thinking of treating Sue  ;D