Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Microsoft Security Essentials  (Read 2157 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Microsoft Security Essentials
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:45:23 PM »

I have just read Scottiesmums comments about her using and liking MSE.I wonder if anyone had any comments/thoughts on it.

It doesn't have a firewall(does it?),but I suppose you can use the one that comes with Windows.

Tbh,I can't decide whether I want to pay to renew my McAfee Security Center when it expires mid April.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: Microsoft Security Essentials
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 05:55:17 PM »

I have no experience of it, but there is a very good and fair review to be found at...

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/software/352417/microsoft-security-essentials

(No firewall built in, but the Vista one plus your router hardware one is a good enough combination. ) :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »

Thanks TD  :)

Reading a few reviews,it doesn't seem to have as many bells and whistles as the big players in this market.Saying that it does seem to get good reviews.

I also think that a lot of things are down to user common sense,not opening dodgy emails/attachments,visiting dodgy websites etc.

I could be tempted........

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 10:05:27 PM »

I also think that a lot of things are down to user common sense,not opening dodgy emails/attachments,visiting dodgy websites etc.

My sentiments Unc ...and that's what I do ( or don't do in the case of any 'dodgy' e-mails !)    I'm very careful where I 'visit'  on-line,  read newspapers and listen to the radio and find that for the several weeks I've been using MSE it has done ts job, as I've had no problems.      I also only use the Windows own firewall and have been doing so for over  year now ....  I got fed up with Zone Alarm ..... I've had no problems   (touch wood  :fingers: ;D ).  I read many reviews about MSE before installing,  and found there were more  'fors' than 'againsts'.      :)