Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DG834GT - Wireless Any Good  (Read 2278 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
DG834GT - Wireless Any Good
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »

Many of you guys & gals use this hw and I was wondering if I could get some feeback as to its wireless performance. By that I mean is the wireless stable [no droppouts, link quality good] and does it generally live up to expectations.

I only want to use the DG834GT as a WAP ie DHCP disabled.

I was also wondering if you could specify the fw version used be it Netgear or DGTeam firmware.

I currently have a couple of DG834G v2 [Netgear fw 2.10.17] used purely as waps and they are marvelous. However one is becoming temperamental [not sure if the power brick is iffy or the unit itself has come to the end of its shelf life].

Rather than replacing the DG834G v2 like for like I was interested perhaps in an upgrade [of sorts].

Although open to other suggestions, I like the DG834GT because the stock/standard aerial can be easily removed and a better one substituted. As you are aware some wireless routers now have aerials that are built in.

Any info much appreciated

Cheers

pintosal

• Reg Member
Re: DG834GT - Wireless Any Good
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »

My DG834GT gives good wireless performance in my home setup.
Range and stability is good. The signal through walls and outside the house is strong.
I have the DGTeam firmware, which works very smoothly and I like the SNRM tweaking capability, even though you maybe don't plan to use it in modem mode.
Finally, there are plenty available at a good price on e-bay.

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Re: DG834GT - Wireless Any Good
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 08:57:48 PM »

pintosal said:
My DG834GT gives good wireless performance in my home setup.
Range and stability is good. The signal through walls and outside the house is strong.
I have the DGTeam firmware, which works very smoothly and I like the SNRM tweaking capability, even though you maybe don't plan to use it in modem mode.
Finally, there are plenty available at a good price on e-bay.

Many thanks for the feedback. May I ask which DGTeam fw version you are using (1.02.16?)

I do actually use a DG834GT as my router with wireless off. Yes mine was off ebay, ex Sky which I flashed. I just find that it's easier & more practical to have the wireless running on separate unit.

Anybody else?

anything