Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Homeplugs/powerline network adaptors  (Read 8049 times)

saabw

Homeplugs/powerline network adaptors
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »

To cure a problem with the location of a wireless laptop connection ( laptop located in bedroom above the kitchen and losing signal when the microwave is working) I'm thinking of installing a pair of Homeplugs/powerline network adaptors.

I want buy 200mb ones so my question is which make is the best netgear,zyxel,belkin or devolo?, has anybody any preferences.
Windows 11 64bit
ISP/Router soon to be BRSK, Technicolor DWA0122
Connection Speed  500Mbps down/up

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Homeplugs/powerline network adaptors
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 01:05:49 PM »

No preferences, but one of my (non-IT-literate) customers got some Netgear ones recently and set them up themsleves with no issues at all.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »

As far as my experience with them goes, watch out for the physical space they require. You will lose a socket for each end and if they take up too much space and you use a trailing extension, or double socket,  you can lose two sockets, one for the homeplug and one at the side of it.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

saabw

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:13:40 PM »

Well I've a Netgear 4 port one and single for the router, brill connection wel pleased.
Windows 11 64bit
ISP/Router soon to be BRSK, Technicolor DWA0122
Connection Speed  500Mbps down/up

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2010, 10:16:01 AM »

Hi,
When I used a Netgear HDX101 my wireless mouse stopped working.
When I unplugged it the mouse was OK again.
Admittedly I was using it on an extension cable, which I seem to remember
is not recommended. The HDX101 worked fine, but I only tried it over a short
distance.
Cheers,
Peter

general disquiet

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »

I've used Netgear HDX101's since they first hit the market and think they are wonderful.  I'm using them on a fairly complicated power set-up, with the remote plug on a spur from the meter and not on the main ring circuit.  Absolutely no problems.

Equally, some homeplugs have been implicated in wifi problems.  No sign of that whatsoever.

Adder

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 09:25:25 AM »

I bought the 200Mbps Devolo when they first came out, (a 2 pack starter kit) and they were great. It eliminated all of the problems I had streaming from one room to another, (I used to use wireless). I recently bought another 3 so I've got 5 around the house now and they all work flawlessly.

I can't comment on the other makes you mentioned because I haven't seen them, but I expect they're all quite similar. I like having the 200Mbps ones as it gives that bit of extra bandwidth in case any is degraded over your internal cabling. I know that some of them have a pass through so you don't lose your power socket but the Devolos don't. This isn't really a problem for me, but if you're short of power sockets, it's worth noting.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 11:03:23 AM »

There's one little caution I should perhaps mention, although I don't really know how significant it is, if at all. As homeplugs become more popular, there is in theory at least an increasing possibility that a neighbour who is also using homeplugs could inadvertently connect to your network and use your internet connection, or vice versa. Most homeplugs are, I believe, set up by default without encryption, so I think that it would be sensible to configure them to use encryption.
  Eric

torqpoc

• Reg Member
  • I loved the 80s!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:46:23 PM »

Hello,
I am using the Comtrend Powerline 902, which I believe come free with the BTVision setup. Bought a threesome from Ebay for 50 pounds and can't fault them. They are not 200Mb however, they are 100Mb full duplex, 200Mb half duplex. That is worth noting.

With regards the comment above by Roseway, I believe the range of the Powerplug variants is limited to the local circuit, ie the junction box (or however it is known). Most vendors products state they cannot go across the junction box. It is however as Roseway mentioned a very good idea to use the inbuilt 3DES encryption which is almost impossible to crack.

Cheers,
T
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:58:12 PM by torqpoc »

AWB70

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »

I have some old 100mbps Powerline ones to run a PS3 on with no problems. I did some ping test comparisons versus having the PS3 on wireless and the wall plugs came out on top by a long way so highly recommend them.

On the subject of security mine came with a cd for installing encryption on the circuit but obviously that only works on a PC not so easy on the ps3. In your own property you should be safe it's more in for instance blocks of flats where the adsl signal can get through a common shared earth where neighbours could hitch a ride. Mac filtering the router would help if you had it and only allow the Mac's of your stuff through the router.

A lot of the older plugs are a bit bulky, I have seen ones where in a double wall socket it left no room for anything in the adjacent socket. The newer ones are not as large and some Linksys one's and Netgear to name a couple I have seen actually just have a normal size plug and lead on then go into the adapter which is a bit better. 

anything