Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Function of splitter  (Read 7429 times)

anon_private

Function of splitter
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »

When I setup braodband, I needed to connect splitters at the phone connections.

I understand that these splitters prevent interference between the data line and the voice line.

Am I right in thinking that from the exchange to the house interference will occur between these two channels, and that the splitter at the house divides the signal at this stsge preventing interference to the phone and pc's?

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Function of splitter
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:33:55 AM »

The filters don't have any effect on the signals coming into the house. They simply separate your phones and related equipment from interfering with the ADSL signal, and vice versa.
  Eric

anon_private

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:23:21 AM »

Is my last paragraph correct?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 10:26:54 AM »

No it isn't. There is no filtering between the incoming cable and the modem or router. It's the phones and associated equipment which are filtered.
  Eric

anon_private

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 10:59:10 AM »

I am a little lost.

The phone wires leading to the house have both voice and data. Is the data separated on the wires from the exhange, and in reverse by the splitters?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:25:07 AM »

They are different frequencies, think of it like TV and radio for example both of which travel happily through the air together.
Your router ignores phone signals just like a TV ignores radio signals.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »

Perhaps a_p may be under the impression that the voice and data are carried on separate wires? They're not, there's only a single pair of wires carrying both signals, which are on different frequencies as HP said.
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »

If I may join in here please? I think Anon_private is under the impression that a filter filters the incoming signal into its voice and data components, rather than the filter filtering interference from phone/modem interfering with each other. Forgive me if I have the wrong impression here. I can understand that AP is of the impression that the filter filters out the voice signal and allows the data signal to pass through to the modem.
Is this what you are thinking Anon_private?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »

Hi
quote  The phone wires leading to the house have both voice and data. Is the data separated on the wires from the exhange, and in reverse by the splitters?

as per previous posts the splitters ONLY remove interference from your HOME  connections/equipment
edit : info from Kitz
Telephone lines can be used to convey analogue signals and the copper pair has the ability to carry a range of frequencies. ADSL makes use of the fact that voice signals for telephone devices are all under 4kHz, and utilises the previously unused higher frequencies to transmit data.

how adsl works    This explains  the relationship between voice and adsl frequencies .

If there is interference on the BT side this is when you have problems, disconnections etc., and these have to be resolved

Regards Jeff
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:39:10 PM by jeffbb »
zen user

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 08:07:30 PM »

The way I describe the filters is that the broadband signal is not filtered & runs straight through the item.

The filter bit is to stop any erronious electrical noise generated or picked up by any piece of equipment you have plugged in from being dumped on the network which the broadband signal might overhear

Imagine 2 people in a room having a conversation, (ones like the exchange, the other like your router). If there's someone with a radio blearing out in the same room (this is like a phone, answer machine sky box or anything you may have plugged in your phone sockets) it makes the conversation difficult or impossible.

If you stick the offender with radio in another room, you're filtering the noise out so the conversation can be maintained. A Microfilter is like putting your other telephony equipment in the other room.

The full dsl face plate is the same thing but it also filters out the internal wiring beyond  your master socket ,in case thats a problem

anon_private

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 03:18:37 AM »

Thanks for the responses.

It seems that the splitter just filters out the interference.

I thought that the wires inside the splitter were simply connected differently to allow a split, but it seems that the splitter is a little more complicated.

Thanks

anything