Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Laptop Issue  (Read 4373 times)

StuBell85

• ISP Rep
  • Brighter Broadband
Laptop Issue
« on: January 16, 2010, 10:05:22 AM »

Hi guys, I'm new to these forums although I have been a reader for quite a while. I was wondering if you'd be able to assist me with a problem that I have....

I have this Sony Vaio laptop which I've had for 5 years. Specs are as follows,

Intel Centrino (single core) 1.8ghz
3gb DDR2 RAM
Nvidia Geforce Go 256mb dedicated graphics
SATA HDD

Now recently it has become unusable. The issue that I'm getting is that it would get stuck in the Windows loading screen. Under normal circumstances, this just means that I'd need a fresh install. But Windows XP, Vista and 7 are all completing the install but then locking up during the loading screen. Intrestingly, the trackpad and keyboard doesn't function during the installation either and I need to have externals. I have changed the RAM sticks and the SATA drive to see if these were at fault but to no avail. Could it be the bios or a faulty motherboard? And if so why has the bloody thing stopped working for no reason!

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Stuart Bell

TalkTalk - Tech Support
*Any opinions expressed by myself on these forums are mine and do not necessarily constitute the views of TalkTalk.*

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
Re: Laptop Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:54:41 AM »

Hi,
Perhaps try with Linux. Initially don't even bother to install, just run off a Live CD.
Something like Puppy Linux - http://puppylinux.org
This could at least tell you if the hardware is working.

Then if a LiveCD works, do a full install onto the hard disk and see if that can boot OK.

Good luck,
Peter

StuBell85

• ISP Rep
  • Brighter Broadband
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:17:54 AM »

Thanks, thats a brilliant idea, hopefully it'll make the machine usable for the time being.  :)
Stuart Bell

TalkTalk - Tech Support
*Any opinions expressed by myself on these forums are mine and do not necessarily constitute the views of TalkTalk.*

StuBell85

• ISP Rep
  • Brighter Broadband
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »

So I installed Linux and it works. This is really irritating because I want a Windows installation but the laptop won't have it! I'll have to deal with Linux until I buy a new laptop methinks. Thanks for the quickfix :)
Stuart Bell

TalkTalk - Tech Support

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »

At first I was going to say that it sounds like a faulty installation disc, but, you said you tried "Windows XP, Vista and 7", so it's a bit unlikely that all three are faulty.
Also you changed the HDD, so it can't be that either.

Have you formatted the disc before installation?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:49:34 PM »

So I installed Linux and it works. This is really irritating because I want a Windows installation but the laptop won't have it!

As a long term Linux user, you don't know how much pleasure that gives me. ;D
  Eric

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 09:03:37 AM »

So I installed Linux and it works. This is really irritating because I want a Windows installation but the laptop won't have it!

As a long term Linux user, you don't know how much pleasure that gives me. ;D

And me. :clap:
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »

It could be a BIOS issue.  Have you tried resetting to defaults, or reflashing?

If a Linux distro is working, then it's possible that the Linux installation is bypassing the BIOS settings by loading hardware drivers direct from the kernel, hence the working keyboard and trackpad.

StuBell85

• ISP Rep
  • Brighter Broadband
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »

I thought it may have been a bios issue but there doesn't seem to be any firmware updates on the internet for my model. Anyway, a further development, I'm dual booting the computer with Linux and Vista and Vista is now working!? There's definatly something screwy here. Fingers crossed the Vista installation doesnt stop working; I think after I've completed all the updates I'm going to put it on standby rather than shutting it down to avoid this issue in the future. I'm still going to get myself a new laptop.

Anyone experianced the i7 in a laptop? I'm looking at getting one of those in HP or possible Alienware if the price isn't too much
Stuart Bell

TalkTalk - Tech Support

anything