Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Are cordless keyboards any good?  (Read 6991 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Are cordless keyboards any good?
« on: January 27, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »

I've been building an HTPC.   Eventually, I'll get an IR remote to control it as a networked PVR & video player.

But I will also want to use it for normal PC duties like web browsing, which are best suited to a normal keyboard & mouse.  I'm wondering whether cheap cordless keyboards are likely to work across the living room (about 10-12 ft from screen to sofa)? That's furthger than the makers usually claim, but I don't know how conservative these claims normally are?

The PC will be running linux and ideally I'd like the keyboard to operate in BIOS mode too.  I'm drawn to cheapies like a logitech which can be got well under £20, partly because I'm cheap, but also because the cordless-nes is all hidden from the PC, which just sees what it thinks is a normal USB keyboard.   But would they have the range?

I think there are some exotic bluetooth keyboards about, and these may have more range,  but they're more expensive.  And since they need OS drivers, I'd be very surprised if they'd work in BIOS mode, and I wouldn't bank on them working with linux.

Thoughts, anybody?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Are cordless keyboards any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 10:16:59 AM »

A couple of years ago I built a media centre PC, and for occasional use I bought a cheap Advent cordless keyboard and mouse (from PC World) which worked fine over a distance of about 12 feet. The PC had USB ports on the front, so it was easy to plug in the cordless unit any time I wanted to use it.

I can't speak for other cordless equipment, but most of them seem to be specified for very short distances like 0.5 metres, so I rather tend to believe that these wouldn't be reliable over the width of a room.
  Eric

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 10:21:54 AM »

A Cordless Desktop on the 2.4Ghz frequency should operate up to 10 metres, the 27Mhz Frequency will travel
about 5 metres. The batteries will last longer on a set which runs on 2.4Ghz because there is less power demand

These distances are based on what the keyboard and mouse should provide without interference.

The downside is that such devices will not allow access to the BIOS........you really need a PS/2 connection for that.
There is, apparently, a work around for that with some Microsoft wireless keyboards....the ones fitted with an "F Lock" key.

Holding down the F-Lock and Delete key together will, on some, allow access to BIOS.....but it is hit and miss in that some
will and some wont and you don't know which you have until you try it.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 10:34:54 AM »

I think most modern BIOSs support USB keyboards (which includes most cordless ones).
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:15:42 AM »

Thanks, folks.

BIOS wold be a nice to have, but I can always plug in traditional keyboard any time I need BIOS access.  But Linux is a must.

Regardless of BIOS support for USB, however, TD's point about about a PS/2 connector being safer for BIOS may also be valid as convincing indicator of Linux compatibility, so I'll be bearing that (PS/2) in mind.

In view of Eric's doubts (which I share) about operating range, I'm actually thinking what's most important will be to get one from a place with a good returns policy.  That's a pity as 'good returns policy'  probably excludes PC World, which were cheapest for the logitechs last time I looked. :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:27:44 AM »

As I'm sure you know, I only use Linux, and there is absolutely no problem with USB keyboards. Out of curiosity I dug out the Advent cordless keyboard that I mentioned above, and plugged its base unit into a USB port on one of my PCs. When I started it up, the keyboard worked fine in the BIOS. (I hope I'm not sounding argumentative :-[ ).
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 11:36:18 AM »

(I hope I'm not sounding argumentative :-[ ).

Not at all.  I'm aware of your allegiance to Linux, and grateful for your input.

I was worried that some wireless USB keyboards might depend on OS drivers to make them actually 'look like keyboards' to the OS, but sometimes I worry too much.  :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »

Most modern systems support USB keyboards in the BIOS - sometimes you have to enable that using a PS/2 one.
I can't recall seeing any where it depended on drivers in the OS, other than old systems long ago.
(and OS drivers obviously aren't active when you're just managing BIOS settings)

StuBell85

• ISP Rep
  • Brighter Broadband
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »

There's an amazing rechargable Logitech keyboard which is ultra thin and stylish and has a built in trackball. The charger is a docking station that the keyboard sits vertically in, it's definatly worth a look if you're building a HTPC. It even has touch senstive controls that light up!

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h1159.htm

Logitech DiNovo Edge
Stuart Bell

TalkTalk - Tech Support
*Any opinions expressed by myself on these forums are mine and do not necessarily constitute the views of TalkTalk.*

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 06:31:27 PM »

There's an amazing rechargable Logitech keyboard which is ultra thin and stylish and has a built in trackball. The charger is a docking station that the keyboard sits vertically in, it's definatly worth a look if you're building a HTPC. It even has touch senstive controls that light up!

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h1159.htm

Logitech DiNovo Edge

That one does indeed look nice, a bit out of my price bracket though, considering it'll only be for occasional use.

I've had a browse on Amazon and found quite a few 2.4GHz that tempt me in the £15 to £30 bracket.  If/when I get around to buying it I'll let you know which one I go for, and whether I'm pleased with it.

Thanks again folks,
7LM

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »

Just to report, following the generous advice I was given, I have just become the proud owner of one of these:

http://www.maxpoint.de/en/products/keyboards.php?pid=1_3_2&we_objectID=1055

£28 from amazon.

First impressions are it's well made, a sensible (laptop) size for HTPC, and works fine with linux, and in BIOS mode too.  It worked fine across the room, so I went outside to the garden.  At about 20ft away (with brick wall in the way) it was still fine, beyond which I could no longer see the screen to confirm it, but I suspect it carried on working  :)

Keys & mousepad feel reminiscent of decent quality laptop.   

Thanks again,
7LM

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 04:25:06 PM »

That looks good. I doubt if you would ever want to use it out of sight of the screen. ;D
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »

That looks good. I doubt if you would ever want to use it out of sight of the screen. ;D

Exactly.

Actually, I nearly edited that post just in case anybody questioned the fact I could see it, even at 20ft, 'with a brick wall in the way'.  Well, I knew what I meant.   :D

geep

• Reg Member
    • My ST546 Statistics
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 05:05:09 PM »

Hi,
I have a Microsoft Wireless Multimedia Keyboard - the basic 1000 Model + Wireless mouse.
A single USB connection to a little black wireless gubbins that talks to the keyboard and mouse.

Cost about £25 and really good. Microsoft really do make excellent keyboards.

Battery life in the keyboard is very good - 2 x AA batteries - lasts for year+.
The mouse too has 2 x AA batteries which last about 3 months for me, with very frequent use.
So zero hassle with charger.

And zero Linux problems. I use Slackware. The motherboard + BIOS about 1 year old.
Only need (Windows) drivers if I want to use all the fancy shortcut keys - which I don't..

Don't know if Linux can see the extra shortcut keys, or not.
They probably would be nice in a multimedia setup, as the Microsoft keyboard has some
DVD/VCR shortcut keys like mute, Volume+/-, Pause, Stop, go forward/backward.

After a quick test, the keyboard has a range of about 4 metres, and the mouse about 2 metres.

Cheers,
Peter

PS Keyboard and mouse seemed to suffer interference when I experimented once with
a Netgear powerline ethernet adaptor.

anything