Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DIYnot Forums  (Read 11152 times)

soms

• Reg Member
DIYnot Forums
« on: July 17, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »

Have visited the DIYnot forums in the past, quite alot of helpful advise. The website itself it also very good.

By chance a google search returned this recent thread on ADSL performance over extension wiring.

I thought it was interesting as issues such as the filtering process, ring wire and cable construction are discussed. Provides a slightly fresh perspective on the issues we discuss here quite regularly.

One thing I did notice was how pretty much everything else but SNR margins are talked about, although later on some stats were posted.

ADSL thread of interest on DIYnot Forums

DIYnot Website
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 01:42:50 PM by soms »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DIYnot Forums
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 02:11:57 PM »

Good find and as you say interesting discussion. 

>> One thing I did notice was how pretty much everything else but SNR margins are talked about,

Yes one thing that did occur to me too was that the ring wire was in this case acting as an ariel picking up additional noise bringing down the SNR margin so that the adsl signal wasnt able to cope on the 57db line.

I really need to put some more info up on my site about the ring wire..   but I seem to be quite unproductive with my time management right now and theres too many things that I seem to have left half finished :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 07:24:06 PM »

I really need to put some more info up on my site about the ring wire..

I guess it is worth a mention when you get round to it ;)

The best bit is how when people suggest disconnecting it they never bother to mention perhaps reconnecting it if they decided to move house etc.

I know most phones now are 2 wire based with a built in ring capacitor (European/world standarisation I am guessing?), but if like me you have older telephones, 70s 80s 90s then you would answer very few calls on such a line.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:12:46 PM »

>> I guess it is worth a mention when you get round to it

Yep - although atm theres a link to Yarwell's site - who was one of the first to do a lot of investigation and recommendation into it.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker