Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FireFox 3.6 Released.  (Read 5758 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
FireFox 3.6 Released.
« on: January 24, 2010, 04:26:31 PM »

You can get it here.

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

or if you are already running FireFox,then click on 'Help' and then 'Check for updates'

Be warned though that some plug-ins won't work.......not sure which though.

scottiesmum

Re: FireFox 3.6 Released.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »

Thanks for that Unc   ......  done and dusted  !   :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:53:43 AM »

Thanks for that Unc   ......  done and dusted  !   :)

Kate,did all your plug-ins work ok after the install.

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »

Unc  ...  When I pressed to install  ...  a list of my add-ons/plug-ins that would not be compatible with 3.6 were shown ....    mine were Ad-blocker  (that problem solved by  Ad-block Plus which  IS compatible)  and IE Tabs which I don't have a lot of use for anyway .    When listing the incompatible extensions, it did say that FF would advise when an updated compatible is available.  It hasn't therefore made any difference to me really and I have quite a few extensions !   the installation went very smoothly and very quickly.  :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »

Thanks Kate,

just updated without problems.I only have  about 15 plug-ins and they all seem to have updated ok.

Some groovy themes when you use the personas gallery.  :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:22:44 AM by UncleUB »

scottiesmum

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:14:19 AM »

I've look at those Unc and downloaded the Persona thingy and keep trying the different themes   !!    There are quite a few new excellent additions  ...   I particularly like the  Instant Web Site ID   ....   if you click on the sites' favicons in the address bar it gives useful info.   I am currently looking at all the newbies   ....   must drag myself away into the garden though  !!! ::)     Up to now   10/10 from me ! :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:19:13 AM »

I didn't bother to download personas,just bookmarked it instead. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 10:20:03 AM »

I've been using it on Linux for a week or so, and I would say that it's been wholly positive for me too. It's faster to launch, and faster loading pages. I don't use many addons, but they all work. Well worth upgrading as far as I'm concerned.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »

Tbh since I stopped using IE7 quite some time ago I have never looked back.I am very pleased with FF and if on the rare occasion I do go back to IE7 I can't believe how sluggish it is compared to FF.(not used IE8 though,so I can't comment on that)

I do believe Google Chrome is even faster than FF,but I have never tried it

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:11 AM »

I have IE8 Unc  ...  as well we FF, but  I use FF as my default browser, I find it  more 'interesting' somehow than IE  ... and a recent warning  given by the Government here against using IE browser because of some security blip  has encouraged me to stick with FF !    I find it faster than IE_ too !

grumpy old man

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »

When 'checking for updates' it tells me I the most up to date version 3.5.8?  Have used link to up date.

Thanks

gom

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:17 AM »

Morning GOM.

Quote from the.edmeister, member on the Firefox forum :-

"Mozilla usually doesn't turn on the update from one major version to the next until the next .1 or.2 minor version is released - like with 3.5.1 or 3.5.2. With Firefox 3.6 is was temporarily turned for a few days about a week after Firefox 3.6 was released, you must have missed that "window" is was available.

I think it's a good thing to wait encouraging users to update to the next major version for at least a month or 6 weeks, to give the developers of other applications that install addons into Firefox to have time to fix their software - so that Firefox users aren't inconvenienced any more than necessary or have users blame Mozilla for their crap not working because a 3rd party didn't have enough foresight to keeps tabs on Firefox new version development and the projected release date ."

Maybe you are currently in this limbo window, in which case the way forward seems to be to download FF 3.6, save it and then install over the version you currently have.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 11:23:26 AM »

My Firefox updated to 3.5.8 this morning. All my addons are working so I imagine this must be an "approved" version since it happened automatically. We shall have to see if any snags occur.
Tony