Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Reduced SNR margin when PC connected  (Read 17543 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Reduced SNR margin when PC connected
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2010, 03:41:35 PM »

7LM
Oh Joy!
Just had to reply quickly to say thanks.
Only read it once - but sounds like you're doing what I would like to achieve. Always sensible to aim for the middle ground.
By 'manually connecting', I take it you mean powering off router then back on so it re-syncs?
Also - my idea was that if PC & laptop are off - then although router is still connected (hopefully!) during late evening & night there will be 'zero' traffic for exchange  to 'sense problems' - thereby making use of higher speed during day which may be maintained by trying to avoid 'vulnerable periods'.
Is this completely daft??
Will re-alter sample rate to one sec - but it does warn something about cpu loading or some such.
Thanks
Kerris

I replied to HP's without noticing this one was still outstanding.

Yes, the middle-ground gets my vote.

As always I rely on the Gurus may correct me, but I don't actually think powering off the PCs and laptops makes any difference.  Even in the absence of traffic, the router is still exchanging data with the exchange (superframes?), and will still drop the connection if that data's getting corrupted.

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »

. . .  and I guess one power-off of router (i.e. overnight) per 24hr would be a risk??

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »

7LM
You're beginning to get my measure . .  &  . . . . . do you know my wife???[quoteI won't be responsible Kapt's wife's reaction when she discovers he's taken to spending hour upon hour staring unblinkingly at something on the computer screen, which turns out to be... the Netgear status page.  ][/quote] :no:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »

. . .  and I guess one power-off of router (i.e. overnight) per 24hr would be a risk??

I think the usual advice is to leave the router on 24/7, and that always my own approach.

The big risk is that you currently seem to be on a BT DLM target margin of 12dB.  If DLM thinks the line's unstable, it may increase that to 15dB, whereupon subsequent connections, at least for several weeks and maybe forever, will be reduced by several hundred kbps.

That said, if the choice is between voluntarily powering off at night, or an error-rate-induced connection-drop in the small hours, I'd say the former (voluntary power-off) was less likely to be perceived as instability, and so less likely to cause problems.

However, if you ever need to use the DSL unexpectedly in the small hours - say to check a train timetable or whatever - then you'll likely connect at a poor speed which will drag down your IP profile for several days afterwards.

7LM
You're beginning to get my measure . .  &  . . . . . do you know my wife

No, but I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt.  My own partner is also a software engineer, so she ought to understand, but I still manage to surprise(/scare) her once in a while.

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2010, 05:33:16 PM »

. . . .  I won't ask   :o  !!  Oh & btw it's usually not the DSL that  I use in the small hours - don't ask! :lol:

kapt69

• Reg Member
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »

Quick note of thanks to all who helped on this: Orainsear, Roseway,Smoke,7LM,Ezzer,Jeff,HpS,Oranged.
Having waited for a few other things to quieten down, I have at last fitted the new Corsair VX550w PSU  - and  - no interference!!!
Routerstats on laptop monitored as it was switched on and graph didn't move. ;D
Thanks for pointing me in right direction - hope this may help someone with similar problems.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2010, 02:03:29 PM »

:thumbs: :congrats:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2010, 03:42:13 PM »

Excellent news! :)
  Eric

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2010, 07:22:35 PM »

Great  :lol: :drink:

Regards Jeff
zen user

Smoke

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »

Glad you got it fixed Kapt.  ;D

Nearly all problems with PCs interfering with adsl connections that I have seen have been down to nasty cheap PSUs that come supplied with an ATX case.

Corsair is probably the best PSU brand you can buy on the market at the moment and will last you a very long time to come.

Mark
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]