Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: KB974470 - Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 on Windows Vista  (Read 31158 times)

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum

I'm trying to sort out a problem that a relation of mine is having with this Windows update.

Laptop is an eMachines E625 with Vista Home Basic.

The update has repeatedly failed to install returning an error 800B0100. I've made many searches on this problem but so far have not found any report of a successful solution other than a full re-install......which seems a little drastic when it's only a genuine Microsoft update  :o

I've tried disabling AV and firewall and saving to Desktop and installing from there.

I've downloaded KB947821, System Update Readiness Tool, but the update still fails to install.

Other than a re-install, has anyone any suggestions how to resolve this problem ?

orainsear

• Reg Member
Re: KB974470 - Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 on Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »

Which anti virus software are you running?

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 04:19:59 PM »

Avira Free but as I said this was disabled for install purposes.

It was the same when Norton was being used but that's since been removed using the removal tool and still no joy.

This has been going on since 10 November but I've only just got involved.

The searches I've made indicate a probable corruption of .dll files but nowhere can I find a definite solution, which seems unbelievable for an official Microsoft update.

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »

How about uninstalling/reinstalling the .NET framework package?

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 05:21:16 PM »

Well that's a new solution that's never been suggested in any of the searches I've made  :o

But what are the consequences....I'm not exactly sure what functions .NET Framework performs.

And if the uninstall/reinstall doesn't work then a complete Vista re-install may only get me back where I started  :-\

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 06:19:29 PM »

OK a little more info.

On looking in Event Viewer > System, on 10 November when this problem started there are numerous "Warnings" recorded with the narrative :

"Windows Servicing identified that package KB974470 (Security Update) is not applicable for this system"

Then a matter of minutes later :

"Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB974470 (Security Update) into Resolved (Resolved) state"

Each and every time the update has attempted to install via auto update the "resolved state" error has shown.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 03:10:31 PM »

Any other ideas/suggestions anyone.........please ?

orainsear

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »

I had a search and found the following, which you may have already seen yourself:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2009/10/23/9912209.aspx

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 12:34:55 AM »

Many thanks for your contributions orainsear,

I had saved that page as a possible one to try if an easier solution didn't materialise, which now seems unlikely.

It looks like that's the one I'll be suggesting to my relative........who no doubt will want me to do it  :-\

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 08:11:44 AM »

You can download the package from here:-
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en
Then "attempt" to install it separately.

BUT, it is not listed as being for Vista, and come to think of it I don't remember seeing it as a update for Vista, only the 3.5 version.
The 3.5 version is all I have on my Vista PC.

>> What does it do?
Some programs require it when you first try to install a program, however, most of the time you may get a message stating it is require before the install will start, but not always.

I tried installing a program earlier this week that simply just would not even start to open until I installed .net framework. It was because I know the program I wanted to use and also have .net framework installed on other PC's, plus on occasions I have received the message stating it was required.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 09:34:52 AM »

BUT, it is not listed as being for Vista, and come to think of it I don't remember seeing it as a update for Vista, only the 3.5 version.
The 3.5 version is all I have on my Vista PC.

I have Microsoft.NET Framwork 2.0 Service Pack 2 on Windows Vista installed.It was done by auto update in Oct 2009

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows Vista Service Pack 2 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (KB974470)

Installation date: ‎14/‎10/‎2009 09:20

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an unauthenticated remote attacker to compromise your system and gain control over it. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=161070

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:37:00 AM by UncleUB »

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 11:28:13 AM »

Cheers oldfogy & UncleUB.

That October date more or less coincides with the start of the problem (10/11/09) when the auto update was first attempted.

The fact that on that date the Event Viewer logged : "Windows Servicing identified that package KB974470 (Security Update) is not applicable for this system" is confusing me.

I've done extensive searches on the various error messages and it seems quite a common occurrence when Vista auto updating is invoked.

The only explanation that I keep seeing is that .dll files have been corrupted and that prevents the update. But nowhere does it explain how or why those files become corrupted.

As regards that link showing it's not listed for Vista, there are several .NET Framework 2.0 downloads available, so I thought perhaps there is another which is listed for Vista......but searches revealed nothing obvious.

This is why I'm thinking a full re-install is the only solution (confirmed in many searches) which is really annoying when the problem stems from a simple, routine Windows update  >:D

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 11:44:16 AM »

If I were you, first of all I would try a uninstall of the faulty update with whatever uninstall program you use, (Ccleaner also has a uninstall section)
Then try installing it from the download link (download it to the desktop first)

You may also want to try the uninstall in "Safe Mode" if the normal way does not work.

At least that way if it does work then it will save you reinstalling Vista.
Although that does seem a little drastic just for a faulty update.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »

At least that way if it does work then it will save you reinstalling Vista.
Although that does seem a little drastic just for a faulty update.

My thoughts also,

Tbh,I'm not sure what it actually does,but it seems a bit drastic doing a full re-install.Is the pc in question still working ok?

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »

Tbh,I'm not sure what it actually does,

If it is not installed, then it may prevent the installation of "some programs" in the future because the initial Install window (GUI) of a program can't be recognised, therefore it can't proceed.
Pages: [1] 2

anything