Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Get Skype and call for free  (Read 5823 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Get Skype and call for free
« on: July 01, 2006, 10:19:31 PM »

Just thought I would give Skype a mention.

For any one unfamiliar with Skype, well basically it's FREE telephone calls from PC to PC.

With "Normal" UK land-line calls are at a much reduces rate, calls are approx ?00.016p per minute.
International call are not much more either.

From my (Telewest) phone bill, mobile and 08702 calls worked out slightly dearer.

You can purchase on-line credits to make normal outgoing calls and you can also buy your own number, which are also similar to our existing UK numbers (?30.00)?

You can also buy a USB phone to make or receive calls, but at the moment I just use my existing headset. (Scrooge)  \:D/

http://www.skype.com/go/download

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Get Skype and call for free
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 01:51:12 PM »

Looks like the "FREE" calls war is starting to hot-up.
Take a look at the "gizmo-project"

http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/20/gizmo-project-makes-all-voip-to-landline-calls-free-forever/

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Get Skye and call for free
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 10:13:54 PM »

Back again.

Check-out the latest ALDI offers for PC Christmas goodies. (Some really nice things this week).
The monitors are good, (except they are now ?60.00 cheaper) than earlier this year when I had mine from them. >:(
Starts Sunday 03.12.2006
Including a "Voip/Skype" USB phone for ?9.99 including a ?5.00 call voucher.
http://www.aldi.co.uk/ then go to the botton left hand corner and select SUNDAY.

Whilst talking about Skype, register before the end of December and you can then make free calls to ALL UK landlines for 6 months.
According to the Skype forum, there were problems when the promotion was first set-up, but these have now supposedly been sorted.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 02:54:08 AM by oldfogy »

soms

• Reg Member
Re: Get Skype and call for free
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 12:09:57 PM »

I have Skype but haven't used it for ages! I haven't got a USB phone or anything but just used a bog standard old PC microphone and a pair of headphones and made a call to a landline number once. No one was home but I left a message and the quality was fine.

Of course on dial-up atm, so no Skyping anyone in the short term.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Get Skype and call for free
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 09:10:12 PM »

Well I got the Tevion phone from Aldi today which is actually "Emedia Telecom".
However I will admit the ?5.00 voucher I considered just as a bonus really, because all I wanted was a hand-set.

Okay, the actual Tevion/Emedia set-up was to say the least as I expected, "problems" with setting the sound and recording for the hand-set instead of the PC Mic and speakers, but I had heard of this type of problem in the past so it came as no surprise, although it was just a case of telling it to use the USB device and not the windows default. :wall:

As for the registration process, I didn't like that, even though I chose the "Pay as you go" tariff, you still have to enter your CC details even after entering the ?5.00 voucher number.

Needles to say, ?10.00 has been credited to my Emedia account from my CC, although there was no mention of this happening at the time, also at the moment there is no sign of the voucher value, although there was a paragraph explaining how to get a refund of purchased credits (but now I can't find that info again) so a phone call is imminent first thing Monday.

But all-in-all, it's not a bad little phone, except for the continual pop-up promoting "Voip and Emedia" with no sign of being able to switch it off.

I may of previously mentioned that I already had Skype on my system? well I have which is why I now wanted a hand-set.
After the learning process of configuring the mic and speakers, this went like clockwork.
So I can now use either system from the same hand-set (individually of course).

Once the ?5.00 has run out, the "Emedia Telecom" set-up WILL BE DITCHED.
But a nice little buy all-in-all. :thumbs: