Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Crazy - Errored Seconds  (Read 4657 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Crazy - Errored Seconds
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:44:29 PM »

God I must be nuts or bored - the choice is yours.

Theres a pretty electrical storm here.. and just for a laugh Im sat watching my CRC/HEC  errors rack up. 
and amused that at each flash of lightening my Errored seconds count goes up by 1

weeeeee...  on a line thats normally at 0's

Error Seconds (Local/Remote):   28 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down):   0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down):   288 / 31

HEC Errors (Up/Down):   138 / 13

---
Warning

This activity is NOT recommended... it could play havoc with your adsl connection.

Only reason Im doing so is I can see the exchange (when lightning flashes) and Im on a very good and short line which unlike some shouldnt be affected.
More importantly - all my cable to the exchange is underground.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Jack Hackett

Re: Crazy - Errored Seconds
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 11:04:49 PM »

Some folk get their kicks in strange ways  :P
Are putting your tongue on a 9V battery with each lightening strike too for added effect?
Is your heir standing up yet, Nikola Tesla would be proud of you  :)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 11:10:57 PM »

Very interesting, I will look at mine on Tuesday when we are do for more storms.

We have a very sensitive Earth Leakage trip which often trips when there is a storm about, so that means my wiring in my house is picking up from the lightning an induced 30Ma of current to trip it.  :o

So if the storms very close it could be picking it up on your wiring.!
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »

Some folk get their kicks in strange ways  :P
Are putting your tongue on a 9V battery with each lightening strike too for added effect?
Is your heir standing up yet, Nikola Tesla would be proud of you  :)

yeah actually -  even I was concerned that I found it amusing.  :no:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 11:20:45 PM »

Very interesting, I will look at mine on Tuesday when we are do for more storms.

We have a very sensitive Earth Leakage trip which often trips when there is a storm about, so that means my wiring in my house is picking up from the lightning an induced 30Ma of current to trip it.  :o

So if the storms very close it could be picking it up on your wiring.!

Not sure where its picking it up from -  Im not electrically minded. 

Some of the (boring) facts I noticed was that:-

~ One lightening flash always caused 1 errored second

- Most lightning flashes increased the CRC error down count by 1
- Close flashes racked up CRC error up by several at a time, whilst the more distant flashes didnt seem to affect  CRC up.
But that could depend I suppose on what data/how much data was being transferred at that particular moment in time.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 07:12:50 AM »

We've got overhead lines here, so I always pull the plug when lightning is around. (We had a helluva storm on Sunday night, with hailstones like golfballs as well as the thunder, by the way.)

I remember years ago in my dial-up days I kept going through a thunderstorm, and I actually saw a bright blue flash come out of the modem at one stage. For some reason it stopped working at this point. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 08:35:17 AM »

>>> and I actually saw a bright blue flash come out of the modem at one stage. For some reason it stopped working at this point

hmmm wonder why?  ???
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 10:58:51 AM »

More importantly - all my cable to the exchange is underground.

You can get EPR, or Earth Potential Rise, which can induce high voltages into underground cables, if you get a lightning strike  nearby.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 12:25:33 PM »

I suppose that thought or similar had occured to me - but I also thought there are instances when Im not here and my routers left on and a storm occurs so Im not around to turn it off.

The storm was towards the south and since the desk is right in front of the window looking south - it was kinda kooky sat here in the dark (the only light I had was from the monitor) watching the storm out of the window.   Yeah moment of madness I know.  :-X

-----

Jack Hackett

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 10:45:22 PM »

We had a bit of an electrical storm here in Brum earlier, so I opened up the router's stats page, reset the counters.
Within 20 minutes had
HEC Errors    150
OCD Errors    15
(Downstream)

Didnt watch the errors rack up on PC, was instead watching the lightning with my 6yr old son from his bedroom window.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 10:59:02 PM »

I always used to love watching storms - Florida has some good ones. 

I was a bit detered a few years ago when one struck very near. 
I was on the phone at the time and there was a huge flash and bang.  I screamed and dropped the phone.

Result was it knocked  out the phone and tv.  A neighbour came round and asked if all was ok as hed seen from his conservatory that it looked like my house had been hit. 
Couldnt have been a direct hit cause there was no physical damage done... although dont know what happened with the phone and tv because they both came back on ok later.

The person whom I was on the phone to got concerned though, because one min we were chatting away, he heard part of a gasp/scream before the phone was cut off.  Then couldnt get back through to check if all was ok.  Luckily he got hold of me via my mobile.
-----