Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Windows 7, Vista Home Premium and Netgear Router DG834v3  (Read 5262 times)

feather

• Just arrived
Windows 7, Vista Home Premium and Netgear Router DG834v3
« on: January 31, 2010, 12:56:38 PM »

Hi,

I have a computer which runs Vista Home Premium as its OS, while my father runs his computer with XP.  At present these computers are networked through a Netgear DG834v3 router and there are absolutely no problems at all.  However, my father is thinking about purchasing a new computer which would run Windows 7 as its OS.  The connection between the two computers is wired ADSL.  My question is whether the Netgear Router DG834v3 would be able to network a Vista machine and a Windows 7 machine? 

Feather

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Windows 7, Vista Home Premium and Netgear Router DG834v3
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 01:13:08 PM »

Of course it will, it's just TCP/IP networking.
Your problems, if you want to share data, will be the different new options in W7 (Homegroup etc.).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 01:14:54 PM »

Certainly the answer is Yes, but I'm slightly confused by your statement "The connection between the two computers is wired ADSL.". If you simply mean that each computer is plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the DG834, then there's no problem doing the same with a Windows 7 machine, or any other operating system, come to that.
  Eric

feather

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 01:28:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies so far, particularly Roseway.

I'm sorry if I confused you Roseway but I am not that great with computers and wasn't sure how to explain it properly.  At present my father's and my computers are plugged into the router via ethernet cable so as I have found out from yourself I have nothing to worry about when he purchases his new computer as we can still both have internet connection via the cable.

However, HPSauce says there could be a problem with sharing data.  Could you explain more about this please.  The main thing we share at present is a HP Color Laserjet 2550L printer.  Would we still be able to share this?

Feather

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:51:32 PM »

Hello, feather, and welcome to the forum.

By data sharing, HPSauce meant the accessing from one computer of data files (images, documents etc) held on the other computer.

You should in theory be able to carry on with both computers accessing the printer.....but you would have to check that the printer has Windows 7 drivers available for it.
It is obviously running ok on XP and Vista, but you may need to go to the HP website and look for Win7 drivers to download and install onto the Win7 machine.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:57:19 PM by tuftedduck »

feather

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 02:08:40 PM »

Hi Tuftedduck,

Thanks for the reply.  I have already checked with the Win 7 Compatibility Centre and the printer is compatible but as you say I would have to download some drivers for it onto the windows 7 computer.

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 02:12:27 PM »

Good for you.....queries solved, and no problems.. :clap2:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 02:14:42 PM »

W7 compatibility may not mean that it will work.
There are 2 significantly different versions of W7, 32-bit and 64-bit.
Many new machines are coming with 64-bit but a lot of the peripheral manufacturers haven't produced 64-bit drivers, especially for older/retired devices.

64-bit is generally considered the way forwards, but if sharing that specific printer is vital you need to check what version will be bought and whether drivers are available.

camallison

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 02:56:06 PM »

Just to give you the benefit of my own experience with WIN 7 Home Premium - I added a new WIN 7-based PC to our own network and, with the network connected on first start up, the software "found" the existing network and asked if I wanted to connect to it.  I did so, and then it announced that it had an optional network name "homegroup" - I said NO to that query and then navigated to the network connection it had established, giving the name of my existing group.  Even before giving it that info, I already had an Internet connection for essential updates etc ..  To fully clarify, our network has quite an assortment of OSs on it - Vista (the most troublesome), XP Pro, 98SE (YES, you read that right), Linux of various flavours, and WIN 7 was the most simple to "connect" first time.

Regarding your printer, http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/win7web/printer-support/us/en/laserjet.html gives full details of which printer drivers are available, via MS update or on HP's own site - for your printer, BOTH.

Colin