Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Free Laptops for the poor  (Read 18361 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: Free Laptops for the poor
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »

Gosh we qualify  ;D   :blush:

With just my wife working we come in there category so I'm going to apply ! why not, I have been away from a job for a long time and never applied for dole so it's time to get something back after-all I have payed tax's for a very long time.  

Has anyone applied ?  You can PM me if you want .

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:36:21 AM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »

What the government seem to forget is that most of these "so-called poor people" already have all of these facilities.
And the genuinely poor off will not get  a look-in.

No offence meant and good luck to you. :thumbs:

Now where do I apply?

edit:
If you are a parent and think you are eligible for a Home Access grant, click here to see how to get an application form.
http://www.homeaccess.org.uk/Information-for-parents/

Quick eligibility check
Take the quick eligibility check below. You may be able to qualify for a Home Access grant if you answer YES to:
• Three questions in Section one, and
• At least one question in Section two

Section One:

Are you a parent or guardian responsible for and living with a child…..
…who is in school years 3 to 9?
…who attends a state-maintained school in England full time**?
…who has not already had a computer from a Home Access Grant or similar programme, such as Computers for pupils?

Section Two:

Do you receive at least one of the following?
• Free school meals for your child***
• Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Income support
• Child Tax Credit but not Working Tax Credit and an income of less than £16,040
• Guaranteed Pension Credit (not Savings Credit)
• Income-based Employment Support Allowance
• Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Oh well that leaves me out.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:57:19 PM by oldfogy »

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 07:44:51 AM »

I have been away from a job for a long time and never applied for dole so it's time to get something back after-all I have paid tax's for a very long time

You go for it Mike. :)

Because most of the people under this catergory will not have paid a brass cent in any form of taxation and no doubt they will be the first in the queue. >:(

Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2010, 07:42:29 AM »

A £300m government scheme to give free laptops to poor children is open to abuse, a Conservative MP has warned.

Mark Pritchard said constituents had raised concerns about computers given out under the Home Access Programme apparently being sold for cash.

Mr Pritchard, MP for The Wrekin in Shropshire, said: "There is very little policing of the scheme and there is nothing to stop a minority of recipients from selling their laptops in exchange for cash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8516940.stm

That does suprise me.... >:(

Another well thought out government scheme........

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 10:06:38 AM »

Don't forget it's part of the oppositions role to criticise the government, and they find a way to do it even if there's nothing to criticise - though every story has a down side if you look hard enough.
And in the run-up to an election there's never anything constructive from any party.  :(

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »

Don't forget it's part of the oppositions role to criticise the government, and they find a way to do it even if there's nothing to criticise - though every story has a down side if you look hard enough.
And in the run-up to an election there's never anything constructive from any party.  :(

Well there's no smoke without fire.Perhaps if this hair brain scheme hadn't been implemented then there  would be one less thing to criticise.

jeffbb

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 06:50:45 PM »

Hi

Yep and  its just a coincidence that this initiative has just been announced .Nothing to do with the forthcoming election

wonder what else will be free and available before E day.?

Regards Jeff
zen user

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »

Perhaps they'll go for the grey vote, and give us wrinklies a big bonus. :no:
  Eric

CurlyWhirly

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2010, 08:41:20 AM »

More than 270,000 free laptops with broadband will be given away to low income familes under a new Government scheme.

Gordon Brown says he wants all families to be linked up to their children's schools via the internet.

That way they can access progress reports on attainment, behaviour and other needs, he said.

http://tinyurl.com/yk9pjcg

What planet is he on.......... >:(

How many of these will actually be used for school work:no:

The cynic in me thinks that he is only doing this to bribe voters in the forthcoming general election  :-X
Mike

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »

Ah,someone has seen sense.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/08/11/uk-government-scraps-free-broadband-isp-and-computers-scheme.html

The previous governments £300m UK Home Access scheme has now officially been canned. The Assistive Technology  service sought to issue grants worth approximately £500 to state educated children from 270,000 low income families (earning less than £16,040 per year), which could then be used to select an "approved" computer that included a FREE 12 month broadband Internet access (ISP) subscription.

The programme proved to be so popular that after just one month in operation some 132,000 application forms had been received. To date it has helped more than 200,000 low-income families with children in Years 3 to 9 get access to a computer and the internet. But in many ways the closure of Home Access is nothing new.

Wonder how many of those ended up on Ebay............. ???
Pages: 1 2 [3]