Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Migration - Minimum Term  (Read 2221 times)

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Migration - Minimum Term
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »

I am seriously considering migration from my current isp. There a minimum contract term clause of 6 months required else a fee is levied (in my case £20+vat). The relevant t&c is copied below

CONTRACT PERIODS
Broadband service is offered on a minimum 1 month contract period. Customers are therefore required to commit to a minimum period of 1 months in respect of each service requested. Our LLU Services and our surfwise packages have a minimum term of 6 months. You can leave at any time prior to this minimum term but if you wish to leave prior to the 6 month term you will be required to reimburse us for any deffered migration fee of & pound11.00 + VAT for Surfwise and Premium packages and & pound20.00 + VAT for our LLU service (excluding connections as part of some special offers we may have from time to time.

My specific particulars are:
1. 10-Aug-09: Enroll with new isp and provide mac
2. 20-Aug-09: Go live, BB enabled
3. Have so far been billed for the following full months: Sep, Oct, Nov, Dec & Jan ie 5

Billing is done on a calendar month basis ie 1st of month billed in advance for that month

My question: if I request my mac say on the 21st January (ie 2 weeks from now) and give the isp 1 month's notice at the same time (or upon mac issuance), have I served the 6 months minimum term or will I still be liable for the £20+vat (or be required to wait another month until that contractual obligation lapses).

Many thanks
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:22:03 PM by risk_reversal »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Migration - Minimum Term
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:30:19 PM »

You would have to double check with the ISP.... but my understanding from the T+C would be

that your 6 months would expire on the 10th Feb 2010... therefore you should ensure that you dont leave before that date.

You should be able to request your MAC in the Jan - Feb period and it is not until you use it (you have 30 days which to do so) and migrate away  that your time with the ISP will have come to an end.  Remember it can take 7-10 days for a migration to complete.

Some ISPs see the request for a MAC as the beginning of the 1 month notice period... but some others also request that you put this is writing.

I would possibly say that you would be best informing your ISP of your intention to migrate after the 10th of Jan.
Its sometimes very hard to co-incide a migration date - depends on where you are going as some LLU ISPs only do certain exchanges on certain days of the week.

You may have to overlap for a few days - Ive had to do this in the past..  but general speaking you are only talking about a couple of quid at most...  and you will be liable to your old ISP for any part payment.
If billing is in advance most ISPs should refund any over-payment.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

risk_reversal

• Reg Member
Re: Migration - Minimum Term
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 09:53:43 PM »

Most kind Kitz.

I will call them but will wait until later on in the month in case they get offended that I am rejecting their service and place me on the bad boys pipes.

I did have a look at Be (don't worry Kitz if I go for them I will use the click though on your site) and was surprised that on their order page they ask for the date of birth. First time I have ever seen this on an ISP's subscription page.

Whatever next, birth certificates numbers & the need to have 2 sets of grandparents still alive.

Cheers

anything