Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Advice About Skype ?  (Read 5679 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Advice About Skype ?
« on: January 08, 2010, 12:41:54 AM »

My wife's cousin in Australia has email us and said he's on Skype .

Well I have never used it.

Is it used for phone calls and or video ?
Is it free to use ?.
Do you have an account ?.
Do you have to register ?.

Any advice please.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Advice About Skype ?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:13:18 AM »

>> Is it used for phone calls and or video ?
Yes, it can be used for either.

>> Is it free to use ?.
Yes, just download and install the Skype software.

>> Do you have an account ?.
Yes.

>> Do you have to register ?.
Yes, you create your account by registering.

"Think of it like a mobile phone"

When you set it up you create your own "unique user name"  you then exchange usernames with other people which you then place their username in the Skype directory.
When you open Skype (depending on a persons settings) it will show if that or any of your contacts are on-line, so you simply select their name and click "connect"

You can buy a USB telephone handset which are relativley cheap (about £8) or simply use a mic and headset and/or webcam, however, depending on your graphics card the webcam option can be very jumpy, so at times the voice is so out of sync and the picture can be bad it looks terrible.

The only small problem I encountered "initially" was setting up the audio so that my PC speakers sounded a incoming call ring tone and the handset took over when a call is answered.
If not set correctly the normal PC sounds come through the handsets earpiece, but like I said, it's not a big problem to sort out.

Another option available is that you can also buy credits to phone landline numbers, again depending on where you want to phone the tarrifs are also fairly reasonable.

No spam involved also, with the exception of the "ocassional" email with regards updates or just genaeral sales, but nothing whatsover to worry about.

scottiesmum

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 09:26:45 AM »

I use Skype now and again with the UK, Spain and Canada.  I just use a headset and web cam ....  on  the whole it works well. 

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

Thanks.

Re... "When you open Skype (depending on a persons settings) it will show if that or any of your contacts are on-line, so you simply select their name and click "connect"

So until you open Skype no p2p activity is taking place ?.

My internet connection is:-

ADSL>Speedtouch 636 (no NAT ) Router>RJ45 to >Dedicated Firewall >Switch >RJ45 Network and wireless access point.

I would think I have to open some ports on the speedtouch and firewall and may be the access point  ? Any advice please.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 02:04:34 PM »

So until you open Skype no p2p activity is taking place ?.

That's correct, Skype does not run in the background.
And I doubt if you will need to configure any ports or router settings, unlessyou specifically want to.

Maybe this is all sounding too easy, well that's actually because it is.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »

I run a very secure set up and I don't think it would work without a port being opened up, I will see what I can find on the skype.com site  ;).
I have not ventured with p2p before because of the security problems it had.

As I run Linux and may throw up some problems , see http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,6526.0.html

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 03:24:31 PM »

Skype does not run in the background.
Actually, by default it will, starting automatically when windows starts.
That's so that you can be alerted to incoming calls.

What's more it does take up quite a bit of memory, at least 50MB on my system when idle plus some for any extra drivers (e.g. webcams).

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:26:52 PM »

I don't think it would work without a port being opened up
Just checked my settings and it uses port 11937 with ports 80 and 443 as alternates if required.
Normally that would require no firewall changes.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 09:50:09 PM »

Signed up ok and done a audio test call ok. :)
As I have signed up my wife as well so I'm going to see if I can be one computer and she can be in another computer in another room to test out the system.

Well I was wrong about opening a port, it is using port 233999 and set it up automatically.

I read a good geeky report on the hows and why-fore of there system on skype.com

anything