Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Very weird/curious adsl line fault  (Read 3442 times)

bogie

• Just arrived
Very weird/curious adsl line fault
« on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:30 PM »

I have been having ongoing problems with my adsl.  I am with BE*There isp and usually get around a 10 meg connection on a BT adsl line.

This fault seems to reoccur every 6-9 months or so.

My adsl sync will drop, and reconnect every minute and a half or so.

I do a bt quiet line test (17070 option 2) and initially I hear noise but it then fades away. My adsl modem will then re-sync. All my filters and routers are working fine and I am running off master socket with nothing else connected.

If I leave the quiet line test on I have no drops. But when I quit quiet line test the adsl will drop out again about 15 mins - 1 hr  later?

I have had this fault resolved before by having the line card at the exchange reseated. Also an engineer has reported intermittant noise between the top of the pole and the bt box.

Has anyone ever come across anything like this before? Would the symptoms be the line card? Or would suspect an earth fault?

A BT engineer is scheduled to visit sat PM.

Thanks if anyone has any ideas?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:26:53 PM by bogie »

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Re: Very weird/curious adsl line fault
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »

Hi Bogie and welcome,

One possibility is that there is some sort of resistance fault on the line, perhaps if aluminium joints are involved.
BT are often quite shy to mention this.
When the phone is off hook it should cause a change in the current flow which could disturb the intermittent problem.

You might try doing as many option 1 ring back tests as you can to observe if they have an effect.
Routerstats is a useful tool to observe line characteristics over a period of time.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:01:30 AM »

Like Walter, I suspect that you are suffering from a HR fault in an external joint.

Also an engineer has reported intermittant noise between the top of the pole and the bt box.

In that case, remedial action should be performed by Openreach. Ensure that the attending engineer is aware of that previous report. Often they have no knowledge of what has been previously discovered or done in a previous engineering visit.  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 10:53:17 AM »

From the look of the DMT graph I'd say the problem is affecting the upstream, this is confirmed by the error data over on the right of the image.

Routerstats should allow you to see what happens when the fault occurs.

bogie

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »

Bt Engineer was around at the weekend. My line to the box was perfect. However he found 5% of noise at the exchange end. He has moved my twisted pair termination in the street box from line 60 to line 30 and checked for noise. Said it seemed ok.

I have let it settle for a for 48 hours and now rebooted my router to find I am now getting 15 meg as opposed to 10 meg!

Even more importantly there are no disconnection issues.

I couldn't be happier!

I have no idea what the fault was, but if anyone else is experiencing similar to me ask the BT Engineer to move your twisted pair to another line from BT street box to the exchange.

The BT Engineer has done a sterling job! He actually cared, as opposed to some BT Engineers who just come do a line check say nothing is wrong and bugger off!

Thanks for all your help guys!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:04:24 PM by bogie »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:48:14 PM »

I have no idea what the fault was, but if anyone else is experiencing similar to me ask the BT Engineer to move your twisted pair to another line from BT street box to the exchange.

From your report, we see that the engineer has swapped your E-side pair for a spare, good, pair in the pressurised cable.

I assume the usual offerings were made? Bacon sandwiches, chocolate biscuits, mugs of tea or coffee?  :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:31:14 AM »

@ Biogie,

I wouldn't be too harsh on the BT O field engineers. Many are extremely dedicated chaps and chapesses who really do try to do the best they can without the investment in new cables or even fibre.
They have a near impossible task attempting to keep a manky old unscreened aluminium and copper twisted pair network in the best possible condition for higher frequency signals.
Something it was NEVER designed to do.

Furthermore they are micro-managed by an unthinking management structure hell bent on apparently saving cash, even if they have to return many times to the same job.

You were extremely fortunate that such a good E side pair was still available.

Kind regards,
Walter

bogie

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »

I assume the usual offerings were made? Bacon sandwiches, chocolate biscuits, mugs of tea or coffee?  :)

Tea and chocolate actually!  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »

Tea and chocolate actually!  ;D

Excellent.  :yum:

anything