Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BT Please Help  (Read 9221 times)

gs1norwich

BT Please Help
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:39:43 PM »

can anyone please help me..im quite computer competent but when it comes to networking etc im not very well clued up

i signed up  2 months ago..i was originally getting a sync at 7200kbs with an ip profile of 4500k [acceptable but not correct for the sync]
i did 35 gig in my first month..got the email from bt stating as it was my first month i would recieve no charges for the excess.
that day my adsl dropped to patheticlly slow..these are stats over the last 2 weeks

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7264 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 156 kbps

IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  7200 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 875 kbps

IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  1248 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 887 kbps

IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6240 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 433 kbps

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  160 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 90 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5280 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 93 kbps

DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5280 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 79 kbps

i tried the bt desktop help..the usual inept crap..have you rebooted your computer..lol..deleted cache,etc.run anti virus..they then mad me test mt speed and give them results..they claimed a line fault..they were goin to look into it...and was told to monitor my speed for 3 days..
it slowly got worse and worse..i even did a full format incase i had a virus that highjackthis/spybot couldnt detect.[i use firefox with java disabled,only use sites i know]

looked into it on forums and was horrified to hear they are capping my bandwith..i emailed them..explaining i understood what they were doing to me [shaping] and i wanted to cancel as my adsl wasnt fit for purpose..never recieved reply..
rang them again today..told it could be line fault..told to remove the plate of the wall socket and plug directl into..still patheticly slow.they were supposed to ring me back with results.she rang back and claimed no fault on the line..

sent another email to complaints department which promises a reply in 24 hrs..

im so fookin sick of  bt.. i would be happy to just get a constant 2000kbs profile but as you can see from my tests above im currently on an ip profile of 135k [get 16k/sec downloads] my upload has remained constant at 448k though.

how the hell can i get this sorted.im sick of ringing the indian call centre,im sick of the appaling so called customer service..
im paying 17.99 a month for a 135k connection..that is pathetic when i have been synced at over 7200k

i just want to terminate the contract and get another ISP

thanks for reading this long post but i reallyneed help..im being f****d over by bt badly and im tied in for another 13 months

*EDIT* forgot to add im using the voyager 220v wired router connected via ethernet..
i did use to turn my router off at night but have found out through reading on this forum i should leave it on for 3 days solid..whoops!
ill reply after the weekend if my line hasnt improved..

these are my curent settings after going into the router via http

Statistics    Downstream    Upstream    
   Line Rate    7488 Kbps    448 Kbps    
   Noise Margin    14.9 dB    25.0 dB    
   Line Attenuation    37.0 dB    21.5 dB    
   Output Power    19.8 dBm    12.0 dBm

sorry if this post is a complete waste of time!

i did say i wasnt clued up on network/routers etc  :-[
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 07:52:44 AM by roseway »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: BT Please Help
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 08:15:47 AM »

Hi and welcome

Some of your tests show a low speed sync, and that results in a low IP profile. This is what is limiting your speed, not traffic shaping. Your last set of stats are very good, so the problem does look like an intermittent line fault, or a serious problem with your own wiring.

When you get the low speed connection (e.g. the 5th of your series of tests) can you hear any noise on the phone, such as hissing or crackling? If so, you should report this to BT (the telephone side, not the ISP) as a voice fault, but check a couple of things first. There's some good advice at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm for diagnosing and fixing internal problems.

Does using the phone have any effect on your ADSL connection? If so, this again points at a line fault, or possibly a faulty filter.

Try to reduce the problem as much as possible by unplugging as many phones as you can and (if it's practical to do so) connecting to the test socket inside your master socket. This will help to eliminate your own phone wiring from the problem.

Dealing with BT as an ISP can be frustrating, as many people here will testify, so it's worth gathering together all your facts in a clear manner.
  Eric

gs1norwich

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 10:38:13 AM »

hey Roseway..thank you for the reply and welcome to the forum:)

to answer your questions..

1.when i first had adsl installed it wa fine.then i was getting crackling/hising on the phonline.
i did report this to BT as a line fault and they said they would look into it,they claimed there is no fault on the line.

2.they asked me to change the microfilters over and to plug direct into the test slot [behind the socket]i did this and they said they were going to test the line again,they rang me back an claimed no line fault

3.i am currently plugged into the master socket,from this i have a microfilter,and from this the dsl cable & phoneline to the voyager 220v router.phone is plugged into the microfilter on the back of the voyager and from my voyager router im connected via ethernet to the pc.

4.yesterday when i went to use the phone,i picked it up and my adsl lost sync[flahing light on router] but that is the only time i think.
i was definately getting hissing/crackling even with the phone plugged into the test socket.also this is the only phone & socket in the house

Thank you so much for taking =the time to reply to my noob incompetent plea for help!
very much aprecciated..

i am goin to look into the link you provided

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

so i will update this thread when i have hopefully resolved it myself..lol
the wierd thing is i just checked my line and there is no crackling/hissing today
bring back 56k dial up..at least you knew where you where with that!

Cheers Roseway For the great advice

Anton

gs1norwich

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 11:02:52 AM »

i forgot to mention.there is an extension from the master socket going to the bedroom.there is no phone connected here and i connected the other microfilter to this anyway..
is there anyway to tell if this is a legitimate extension ? i mean work carried out by BT?.it does look a bit shady, [ie the extension comes out from behind the socket like so]
see pic..sorry for quality had to use my mobile phone!

the previous occupant either installed it themselves or it was BT.

could this be the cause of my misery?
sorry to have wasted your time if so,and should i contact BT and get an engineer sent out

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 11:12:09 AM »

If you are plugged into the test socket, as you appear to be in the photo, then that isolates the extention wiring. If the problem is still persisting whilst using the test socket, then the problem is almost certainly a line fault.

Try the quiet line test by plugging a phone into the test socket, dial 17070 and choose option 2. If you can hear crackling or "frying" noises then a line fault is the most likely cause.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 11:29:54 AM »

You haven't wasted my time. These sorts of problems can be the very devil to sort out.

There shouldn't be any extensions wired into the back of the master socket like that, so it rather looks like an unofficial (and unapproved) job by a previous occupant. But if the extension socket isn't being used it's not very likely to be the cause of the problem. You don't need a filter in the socket if it's not being used, and it would be marginally better to remove it as it's a small extra load on the line.

The fact that you sometimes get audible noise on the line, and that on one occasion at least, using the phone disrupted the ADSL connection, point strongly at an intermittent line fault (e.g. a high resistance fault) usually caused by corrosion in a connection somewhere, or water getting into a joint. I think you need to go back to BT and report the voice fault again, stressing that it's intermittent.

[Edit] Just seen Astral's comment, and his advice is good.
  Eric

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 12:29:11 PM »

I've just realised I have been a bit unobservant. The extension wiring should, of course be attached to the removable front plate, so this clearly is a bodge by the previous occupant.

I know this is a bit naughty, but i would carefully disconnect the extension wire, because BT will probably charge you to rewire it correctly when they investigate the fault, and being as you weren't the bad guy it seems a bit unfair. I stress the carefully bit, because you don't want to disconnect the legitimate BT wiring.

Reconect the extension to the front plate following the same colour coding as the BT wiring. You can get a special tool for pressing the wires into the "jaws" of the connector, or you can do it using a very fine screwdriver.

I didn't tell you any of this, of course. ;)

gs1norwich

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 12:34:58 PM »

Thank you astral & Roseaway..

firstly to astral..i tried what you suggested ,putting the phone direct into the test socket and dialled 17070 selecting option 2..the results of the quiet line test were no noise/crackling or hissing.it was complete silence with a female repeatedly saying quiet line test every 20 seconds or so..

to roseway..thank you for the advice,ill ring bt and report the intermitent line fault on monday..
another 2 hours explaining the problem to another incompetent bt employee..lol

seriously though thank you guy`s so much for all the help..really is much aprecciated.

ill update the thread monday after repoerting the intermitent fault to BT..Fingers crossed

Anton

*EDIT* *thread updated while creating my post*

thank you astral but im not sure i feel confident enough to remove the extension.dont want to totally lose my phone and my internet..

by any chance are you aware how much BT would likely charge me to sort this?

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 12:44:12 PM »

by any chance are you aware how much BT would likely charge me to sort this?

No idea I'm afraid, but as they now charge for ceasing a line don't expect it to be cheap. Maybe if you have plenty of tea/coffee/bicuits/cake on hand when the engineer calls they might turn a blind eye and put it right for you if you explain that's how it was when you took over the flat. Good luck anyway.

gs1norwich

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 01:02:11 PM »

The words i didnt want to her.."not cheap"  >:D

i take the socket from the wall..this is what it is like

the main line in has the blue with white dashes wire connected to terminal A
the white with blue dashes wire connected to termianl B
nothing connected to termail E.
and the remaining white with green dashes,white with orange dashes,orange and green wires all twisted together!

the extension has
the white wiith blue dashes wire connected to terminal A
the blue with white/greyish dashes wire connected to terminal B
the white with orange dashes wire connected to terminal E
the remaining orange with white dashes wire isnt connected to anything!

i hope you can understand what i have typed here..

i followed your advice astral and removed the extension.leaving the original line in how it was..still have phone and internet...think i can now ring bt and get an engineer round and play dumb and say that was how it iwas when i moved in,and also they wont know there was an extension as i have just ripped it off the wall in the bedroom and binned it!! hopefully they will then fix it if indeed it is a line fault and they cant blame the extension as it doesnt now exist..so thanks for that astral..that should save me soome money!!

thank you roseway & astral for all the reply`s and putting up with an idiot who knows nothing about networks/adsl etc

im forever in your debt :) :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 01:24:46 PM by gs1norwich »

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 01:30:26 PM »

You're halfwat there, having written down how it is connected at the moment!

I see you have screw terminals, rather than the "quick fit" terminals i was alluding to earlier, which are better IMHO and will make this even easier.

Loosen the screws just enough to be able to remove the extension wires. if you are careful the BT wiring should remain in place. Then tighten up the screws again. If BT have used the same colours to the terminals as the bodger then refer to your note if the wire does come off. If the BT colours are different, make a seperate note and put wires back accordingly.

Now feed the end of the extention wire through the big square hole to the "outside2 of the plate and connect extention wires as per your original note to the faceplate terminals. When you put the front plate back your extension should be connected again.

Hope that is clear.

gs1norwich

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 01:47:49 PM »

sorry dont quite understand..
anyway i have totally removed the extension  right to the socket in the bedroom as this is not used at all.
this way i can play ignorant and there will be no extension when the bt engineer comes.
li have left the BT wiring in its original position..i have put the plate back to the wall..now i intend to ring BT claiming an intermitent line fault..when they do send an engineer i hopefully wont get charged if the wiring is somehow incorrect..ignorance is bliss.

as of now phone an adsl are working.."or i wouldnt be typing this post! lol"
i am synched at 6944kbs but 135k profile.no feedback on phone either but that is intermitent so it could return.hopefully ip profile will come up over the next day or 2 and im now all sorted..if only :)

Cheers guys :) [you were very helpful] ever thought about a job at bt customer service lol

Anymore news and ill update the thread..
Have a great weekend

Anton

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 02:18:46 PM »

Yes, you've done it right Anton. The only connections at the back of the socket should be the two incoming wires going to A and B. Any other unused wires in the incoming cable are spares which could be used by BT to feed a second line if you ordered one.

After this is (hopefully) all sorted, you could always reconnect the extension socket as Astral described if you wanted to.
  Eric

tired

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 01:01:21 AM »

Hi,

Have had a read and just want to confirm that you must not switch your hub off at all, the network will think you have a fault and this is prob why it has throttled your speed. The 3 day thing is the amount of time required on a stable sync for the network to re profile you on the BRAS which will determine your through put, so you should expect to see an increase after that period, Your sync speeds are all over the shop but now you have remove the incorrect wiring from the NTE they may settle down if not re post but until it has been stable for 3 days you are wasting your time trying any thing else, its also worth getting a hold of a good filter or two, don't know if allowed to mention any brands so I wont unless told it is ok to do so.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 07:51:16 AM »

It's OK to mention brands so long as it's just a personal recommendation, not an advert. By far the best option technically is a filtered faceplate, such as those offered by Clarity and ADSLNation.

http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16134&cat=262&page=1
http://www.adslnation.co.uk/products/xte2005.php
  Eric
Pages: [1] 2

anything