Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: DNS benchmark  (Read 2876 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
DNS benchmark
« on: December 22, 2009, 10:48:14 PM »

This is an interesting benchmark tool which checks out numerous different DNS servers and rates them for speed. It also gives a report on the quality of the DNS servers which are configured in the host system. It's a Windows program, but works perfectly in Linux with Wine.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: DNS benchmark
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 02:47:52 AM »

Handy tool that eric... Ive just run it...
Its nice to see that Be's new DNS server are being almost twice as responsive as OpenDNS :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 07:22:54 AM »

I'm trying out Google DNS at present, and it comes out near the top. The ones which sometimes beat it are some 'orange' ones which redirect bad URL lookups to advertising-infested pages instead of returning 404s as they should.

Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 11:38:45 AM »

>>> The ones which sometimes beat it are some 'orange' ones which redirect bad URL lookups to advertising-infested pages instead of returning 404s as they should.

That reminds me.... and whilst kinda on topic thought id mention it.

A few weeks ago I was having problems accessing a couple of sites that I knew should be working - such as Thomson Speedtouch and I kept getting the opendns advertising page thingy.

I thought Id removed opendns in favour of DNS Advantage a while back, but obviously not!   ???
Anyhow I just couldnt seem to access the site and OpenDNS kept pulling up their ad page.
I removed OpenDNS and took the opportunity to add Bes new DNS..  and immediately I was able to access the site.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:49:49 PM »

Oddly enough, when I first changed from OpenDNS to DNS Advantage I had a similar problem of OpenDNS not wanting to go away, and I never really got to the bottom of why this happened. But I don't recall any genuine sites being redirected. I don't think I'll be using OpenDNS again anyway.
  Eric

anything