Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Freeview and sound volume  (Read 6166 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Freeview and sound volume
« on: December 20, 2009, 11:25:17 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that the sound level on Freeview is low when compared to the old analog signal? My wife is always complaining that Freeview is not as loud, and it seems to be true on all our sets (all have built-in Freeview), if you are watching Freeview at a comfortable level of sound and switch to analog I seem to find I need earplugs (or turn the volume down). I am wondering if will change when the analog is switched off and the signal boosted?
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Freeview and sound volume
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 11:34:29 PM »

Digital sound will not get louder with a stronger signal.

pintosal

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 09:30:36 AM »

I think it's a "feature" of the freeview box.
I have a satellite receiver which is completely the other way - much louder than  the analogue signal.

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:05:17 AM »

Has anyone else noticed that the sound level on Freeview is low when compared to the old analog signal? My wife is always complaining that Freeview is not as loud, and it seems to be true on all our sets (all have built-in Freeview), if you are watching Freeview at a comfortable level of sound and switch to analog I seem to find I need earplugs (or turn the volume down). I am wondering if will change when the analog is switched off and the signal boosted?

Most definitely noticed this AND with Sky on satellite too, it's so very annoying.  I keep meaning to email Sky and ask why this is....I MUCH prefer analogue tv for the sound quality compared to freeview and Sky and it's not because of my TV because it's new and it was still low volume on my old TV.  I wonder if anyone can actually explain why it's like that?
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:28:38 AM »

With a Sky box you can change its volume in the System Settings configuration, so as to make it equal to the analogue volume. I would have thought that most addon Freeview boxes would have a similar feature, but with built-in Freeview you're stuck with how the manufacturer has set it up. As it happens, my cheapie Acoustic Solutions TV has the two volume levels set pretty well equal, so it can be done; shame on those manufacturers who don't do it right.
  Eric

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 07:11:51 AM »

With a Sky box you can change its volume in the System Settings configuration, so as to make it equal to the analogue volume. I would have thought that most addon Freeview boxes would have a similar feature, but with built-in Freeview you're stuck with how the manufacturer has set it up. As it happens, my cheapie Acoustic Solutions TV has the two volume levels set pretty well equal, so it can be done; shame on those manufacturers who don't do it right.

Unless I've not found the correct place (system settings sound) to adjust the volume on the SKY + box... mine is set to full whack....and it's still down much more than analogue sound  >:( 
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 07:22:29 AM »

Assuming that you're connecting via Scart, it might be worth trying a different Scart cable. Or even jiggling the present cable to make sure that it's connecting properly might possibly make a difference.

PS Happy Christmas :)

Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:07:01 AM »

Having taken back the second Bush set to Argos I bought a Kenmark 15in IDTV with DVD having tested it in store. The sound levels between digital and analog are identical, so some manufacturers can indeed get it right. A Goodmans set in the same store (and operated by the same remote) was useless.
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP