Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Miracle.  (Read 1658 times)

stevie

• Reg Member
Miracle.
« on: December 20, 2009, 03:00:51 PM »

Yep - Miracle.

No Phone, no dial tone, phone won`t recieve or make calls...ADSL works a bit (well just about, sort of, drops, slow, etc).

So rather than just call out BT (AKA Openreach), I buy a cheap corded phone for testing.

Test at the master, with the front bit removed, no dial tone, take phone down to the Outlaw (AKA Mother-in-law), works fine check my master again, no dial tone.

Go online (via my netbook & Mobile dongle), go through the test line.....No fault....Then phone up BT, listen to recorded rubbish, have to agree to pay £125 if fault is with my equipment/on my property. Agree to Engineers visit for tomorrow...

WELL blow me down...All working fine 2 mins after reporting fault.... :-X

Maybe I`m being sceptical, but how many folks would have been stitched up with a £125 payment when the Engineer turns up & says "There no fault"    :-X :-X :-X

Strange but true.....Yes I`ve cancelled the visit & checked online that its closed....

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Miracle.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:41:24 PM »

When the phone doesn't work but ADSL does partially, this is likely to be the result of a break in connection in one side of the incoming pair of wires. It's possible that this happened at the exchange, and they fixed it immediately after you reported it, or it may just have been a bad connection which fixed itself coincidentally. Either way, I don't really think that you were deliberately stitched up. :)
  Eric

stevie

• Reg Member
Re: Miracle.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 05:18:11 PM »

Just an update...

The conection went wonky again.

Appology to BT, I`m aware that ADSL can work when there is a break in one wire or something along those lines.

I suspect the problem is with the NTE5...

Disconnect everything.

Leave for a couple of mins.

Try phone....Dial tone works.....Can dial out.

Try calling my landline rings once or just get a bleat, pick up phone can talk to caller...

Hang up..... no dial tone.

Try phoning again....goes straight to answer phone....

We only have BT answerphone, no answerphone indoors.

At the moment ADSL is brilliant, we have dial tone....

I`ve re-opened fault & Engineer visit is tomorrow....Taking time off to be here...

All the above done from test point on master, apart from ADSL.

regards

Steve

anything