Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dedicated RJ11 socket  (Read 19868 times)

BritBrat

• Kitizen
Re: Dedicated RJ11 socket
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 09:35:07 PM »

I can't help feeling you have made this more complicated than it needed to be unless I am missing something.

1. You are connecting to a phone outlet through a ADSL filter with no phone connected to the same outlet.

2. You wanted to do away with the filter.

If so remove filter and plug the router/extension cable back into the phone socket,  no need for any filter at all.

Only phone devices need a filter when there is an ADSL connection on the same line.

The only thing I can think off is you are doing this in case someone may want to use the phone socket to connect a phone without the use of a filter.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:43:11 PM by BritBrat »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 09:47:53 PM »

What you're missing is: RJ11 plug, BT socket. Doesn't fit.  :lol:

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2009, 09:49:57 PM »

What you're missing is: RJ11 plug, BT socket. Doesn't fit.  :lol:

Ah I see.

OK could have changed the plug to a BT one.

EDIT:

I think I seen one today for sale, now where was that!

Getting back to the subject of my original post, I'm probably going to try a Solwise filtered faceplate:

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm (halfway down that page).

That was it right at bottom of page :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:53:31 PM by BritBrat »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2009, 10:03:13 PM »

remove filter and plug the router/extension cable back into the phone socket,  no need for any filter at all.

@Britbrat,

Yes, that would have worked, if I could arrange for the RJ11 outlets as per HP's comments, but even so it can be improved upon...

...if I just connected the router to the phone wires then the entire house's phone extension wiring would still be acting as an aerial and feeding interference into the signal seen by the router.  The solution I'm pursuing improves upon that that, such that the DSL signal is only exposed to interference picked on by the wiring between the master socket and the router.  The extension wiring to subsequent remaining sockets (at least another four) will be on the filtered side of the DSL signal, and therefor shouldn't be able to contribute much to interference.

Better still would be to filter the house wiring in its entirety at the master socket using something like the filtered faceplate you linked to earlier.  That's the Gold Standard solution, but it requires the router to be plugged in at the master, which I want to avoid.   All the same, when you think about it, my solution isn't actually any more complicated, it's just the same think but implemented 'downstream' from the master socket.  

To put it all in context, the guy who had my house built installed phone sockets in every room in the house and then some (I can think of at least nine sockets off the top of my head, there may be more if I went around and counted them).  It probably seemed like a good idea at the time.  I could just disconnect it all but that seems a shame, I'd rather find a way of leaving it in place but minimising it's effects.

edit: added 'at least'
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:08:10 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 06:12:41 PM »

Well, the ADSLNation arrived today and is now fitted.  I have to say that if it's making any difference then it must be a subtle one, but that's all I expected since the master test socket wasn't a huge improvement either.

I unplugged everything, hacked in the new socket, wired it all up and when I finally reconnected I'd actually lost, rather than gained, a few hundred kbps.  Probably, however, my usual 'evening SNR dip' was already well underway by the time I reconnected so it's not a fair comparison.  It'll be interesting to see whether the evening dips at their worst are any less prominent than they were, that alone would probably make it worthwhile.

Or maybe things are just as good as I'll ever get them, connecting these days (daytime) at between 3.8Mbps and 4.2Mbps, with a 9dB target and a 56dB line :-\

BritBrat

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2009, 07:19:43 PM »

Sure looks that way:
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

[attachment deleted by admin]

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »

Sure looks that way:

Yep, and that's based on a 6dB target - mine's 9, which makes it even better.  I'll always be greedy for more though  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything