Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ISP,s The Future?  (Read 2785 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
ISP,s The Future?
« on: July 13, 2007, 12:18:55 PM »

I like a lot of people live quite a way from the local exchange,about 2km.In time will these exchanges get better technology so we can get faster speeds.Would all the underground cable etc have to be up graded or can these lines be boosted from the exchange.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ISP,s The Future?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 02:45:58 PM »

Technology might squeeze a bit more out of the present wires but not a lot. To get a big increase you'll need new wires/fibre optic cables or a new exchange near you, and these things cost serious money.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:05:09 PM »

Hi,I,ve just visited Be ISP website where they offer speeds of up to 24mb and if you live 2km from the exchange (like me ) speeds of up to 15mb.What is this ADSL2+ they advertise?Also many thanks for all the info you have given me over the last 2 days.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 07:09:34 PM »

BT is in the process of upgrading their network to 21CN (21st Century Network) which will include support for ADSL2+. This will offer greater speeds on short lines, but little or no increase on long ones. Your line is presumably somewhere in between, but how much improvement you get will depend on the real line length between you and the exchange, not the geographical distance.

More information on ADSL2+ at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITU_G.992.5
  Eric